Checking out the new barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
My new to me TC Renegade project is on hold until my new sights come in. This is the new rifle.

nrvfYOA.jpg

I have a Lee Shavers Mid range Sole sight on order along with a Hadley cup.

5DjfbCG.jpg

I have a Ferriss front sight on order. ( I stole this picture from @Idaholewis )

7Vovqox.jpg

The barrel is a new in box never shot Green Mountain Stainless LRH 45. Today I decided to have a look in the barrel to see how it looked. I noticed something that didn't look right.

DMLHn2p.jpg

I looked through the clean out screw

MILzEtX.jpg

It turns out it was a small sliver of metal.

W5Qkh7i.jpg

@Idaholewis found one of these in the barrel I gave him. It started to give me trouble going off and I put it on the back burner and didn't shoot it for a very long time. Lew figured it out and told me how he fixed it. Thank you Lew for the info!!
So I used the bit from my dremel like he said to get it out. I moved it but could not reach the spot. So I used a wire and bent it a bit to hit the spot. If I hadn't taken it out I am sure I would have had horrible hang fires with this barrel too. Now I wait until the sights show up.

RfW1fZk.jpg

blraaXC.jpg

@idahoron
You will like that sight setup :lewis: Lee makes a Nice, Quality Sight at a reasonable Price. Tell him you want the same base that he just sent me, it’s a Ballard Base I believe? It will come with 8-40 Screws. I found the Ballard Base sits PERFECTLY flat on the Hawken/Renegade Tang. The sight will come with the Rear screw under the Staff Tension spring, the other will be in a little Zip Lock bag. You will have to Remove the Staff (it’s under tension) to access the Rear Screw

If you have never played with one of these Soule type Sights? The eyepiece is what locks the elevation adjustment down. Whatever you do, don’t try and Force turn the Elevation Screw, you can badly Damage it, You simply loosen the Eyepiece, Then you can turn it :lewis:

Also, Make sure and remove the Bubble level before drifting the front sight in

Latest posts

Back