Cheddite 209 primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKasprzak

Reaction score
I just made my first time purchase of 209 primers. The shop I use for all other black powder supplies only had the French brand “Cheddite”. Does anyone have experience with this brand of primer? Would like to hear you thoughts. ~Dave

I have used them for years - but in Shotshell reloading. They are suppose to be an almost direct copy of the W209. They are not as long.

I am going to use the NEW ones I just purchased in one of my Knight 45's this year.

Have a bunch but haven’t tried them. They look nice and I’ve measured a bunch of them. They are quite a bit shorter than other 209s. I get about a .291” average on them. That’s several thousandths shorter than Win and Feds so you may get some blow by.

Let us know how they work for you.

The Cheddites are frequently too fat to work in guns that swage the primer to seal (like our Remington 700 ML/MLS system).

As someone mentioned, they are a little on the "fat" side to be used in the oversized Cheddite shotgun hull pockets. Other than that, if they will light off the unmentionable powder like they do, they will surely light off any substitute you use.

Have a bunch but haven’t tried them. They look nice and I’ve measured a bunch of them. They are quite a bit shorter than other 209s. I get about a .291” average on them. That’s several thousandths shorter than Win and Feds so you may get some blow by.

Let us know how they work for you.

The older Cheddites in the yellow box are short as you indicate. The newer version being sold today in a blue box are longer right at .295.

The older Cheddites in the yellow box are short as you indicate. The newer version being sold today in a blue box are longer right at .295.
I’m not sure whether these are the old or new - newer I assume, blue box - I just bought these a month ago. Not sure how to decipher the lot number markings. So there me be some variation in lots? Many of these are as short as .290”. 🤷🏻‍♂️

34BC7FA4-78AF-4CC5-8188-9585B984F61A.jpegE141316D-18B4-4271-B7B4-2D2E29368F47.jpeg

OUCH! those are the new ones!

My boxes have

45/2/171 which I assume is the lot number,

I just mic'ed mine - I am afraid you are correct - they mic from .291 to .293

My friend bought some for his wife's Accura MR. He says they work fine, but I don't know if he knows blowback is an issue, and he hasn't tried them in cold weather yet.

Back