Choosing my first front loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the reading I've done, seems 777 is probably what I'm going to try to go with. Thinking I'll send the serial to CVA and see what information they can give me on the gun and go from there. I've read there is a kit you can buy to convert it to 209 primers but if I can find no11's locally and get a working load figured out I'll stick to it
I've always felt working up a load can be a whole lot of fun or a whole lot of frustration. I hope the former for you. I personally think you should stay with the 11's as the 209's are no advantage to speak of with T7.

If you're shooting at short range, Pyrodex will work just fine, and is less expensive, and sometimes more available. A #11 cap will ignite it just fine. I live in the southwest (USA) and it is dry here most of the time, but I've left my gun loaded for 5 days of rainy and snowy weather and never had an issue. If it is raining hard, I'll cover the nipple with Saran Wrap, although the caps fit tight enough that I don't believe it is an issue. If loading in the rain, it can be a challenge to keep your powder dry. Loose powder is cheaper than pellets and allows you to work up a load in 5 gr. increments. I've used .45-70 bullets in mine with good success. Always mark your ramrod, so you can tell if you have a loaded gun.

Cleanup is easy. I drilled out a nipple and put a thin rubber tube on it, which I drop into a small container of hot soapy water. Run a tight patch down the bore a few times. The patch will draw water up into the barrel and clean it. I usually run a brush down and then another clean patch. Dry it and oil it, and you're good to go. Many folks find their first shot after cleaning doesn't go to the same place as subsequent shots. Firing a couple of caps will foul the barrel a bit and may help with that. I lick a clean patch and swab the barrel between shots, so all of my shots are out of a clean barrel. Most older muzzleloaders were designed for a maximum load of 100 gr. of powder. At the ranges you're shooting, you probably won't even need that much. Prbullets.com (a Canadian company) has good (but fairly pricey) bullets, and lots of information on velocity and energy. Hope your rifle shoots great.

Well tracking down the #11 caps has been much tougher than I had hoped for. Only one's I've found so far I would have to ship, and shipping is insanely expensive up here since it's considered a dangerous good. I would be looking at around $70 all said and done.

I did find a 209 conversion kit for the pre-2000 eclipse in-line I can get for about the same price. I think I've read the optima design will work in these but not sure about the eclipse. I have found 209s available locally so that might be the right move if the eclipse kit will work in the firebolt. I've also read it might be as simple as just a breech plug swap so if that's the case I may just order one and have both available depending on local stock.

Last edited:
Guess I'm just wondering how does a lefty fare using a right handed sidelock?

Firing a right hand conventional muzzleloader has never been a problem for me. i would hope that anyone shooting a muzzleloader would wear glasses. i know two guys who lost eyes from failure to wear glasses when shooting.

Unless the law requires a muzzleloader to be unloaded prior to transport, etc, there is no need to remove the powder and projectile. My muzzleloaders often remain loaded for months. They always fire when they are supposed to.

Funny I have a fire bolt same year, I’m trying to sell mine, it’s picky with bullets. It shoot powerbelts great, not Thor or federal borlocks worth a damn. The hard part you may find may be finding primers. Great looking gun, did yours come with the extra breach plug so you could adapt to no.11 caps or use 209s ?
With yours, is it just the breech plug needed to run the 209's or is it the whole bolt adapter kit/breech plug? No no.11's to be found anywhere near me so I'm going to switch it to run 209's once I figure out exactly what I need to do it.

With yours, is it just the breech plug needed to run the 209's or is it the whole bolt adapter kit/breech plug? No no.11's to be found anywhere near me so I'm going to switch it to run 209's once I figure out exactly what I need to do it.
Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, I have two breech plugs, one uses the 209s, the other either the no.11s or a musket cap. These were what came with the gun when bought new.

Funny I have a fire bolt same year, I’m trying to sell mine, it’s picky with bullets. It shoot powerbelts great, not Thor or federal borlocks worth a damn. The hard part you may find may be finding primers. Great looking gun, did yours come with the extra breach plug so you could adapt to no.11 caps or use 209s ?
Ok I was wrong on the year, mine was made after BPI took over. I haven’t tried yet but I make my own no. 11 caps, they work on my traditional cap and ball rifles and revolvers. I don’t know if they would work on my inline yet. I’d also have to use pyrodex or real black powder with them.

Right on, while BPI wouldn't give me any info on it I assume there's probably little to no change in the firebolt model after the take over. I was looking at some breech plugs the other day online and if all I need is that to convert it to 209 then it would definitely be the better option. Closest no 11's I've found need to be shipped and that's insanely expensive. All the local places I've been to say they haven't seen any percussion caps in a very long time. Might look into making some down the road but figure going the 209 route is more beginner friendly.

Right on, while BPI wouldn't give me any info on it I assume there's probably little to no change in the firebolt model after the take over. I was looking at some breech plugs the other day online and if all I need is that to convert it to 209 then it would definitely be the better option. Closest no 11's I've found need to be shipped and that's insanely expensive. All the local places I've been to say they haven't seen any percussion caps in a very long time. Might look into making some down the road but figure going the 209 route is more beginner friendly.
I agree if you can find the 209 breech plug that’s the way to go. Your gun has the nice wood stock, mines cami plastic.

New sights, breech plug tool and breech plug showed up today. Seems like it's installed easy enough. Getting the bolt in and out was the biggest pain in the process. Going to pick up some supplies and give it a try this weekend. Just wanted to check to make sure this looks right to all. When bolt is closed, gun not cocked the firing pin sits tight to breech plug, when cocked there's the better part of a 1/4" gap between bolt and breech plug. Makes sense to me but just wanted to make sure before loading it up and trying.

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_174456957.jpg
    IMG_20220829_174456957.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220829_174510799.jpg
    IMG_20220829_174510799.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
New sights, breech plug tool and breech plug showed up today. Seems like it's installed easy enough. Getting the bolt in and out was the biggest pain in the process. Going to pick up some supplies and give it a try this weekend. Just wanted to check to make sure this looks right to all. When bolt is closed, gun not cocked the firing pin sits tight to breech plug, when cocked there's the better part of a 1/4" gap between bolt and breech plug. Makes sense to me but just wanted to make sure before loading it up and trying.
Looks Good to me:

Attachments

• CVA .45 Bolt Closed.MOV
    4.9 MB
  • CVa .45 Bolt Cocked .MOV
    4.8 MB

Latest posts

Back