Choosing my first front loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like the "traditional" feel of getting out and hunting the way they did years back. My compound bow isn't exactly traditional but it still gives more of that feel that heading out with my 30-30. Something more exciting about needing to be in a lot closer too. There's also the aesthetics too, the old style just look cooler to me. I did message a guy on a Canadian forum that has a nice looking, good priced hawkens but haven't heard back yet. I think I may see about picking up the inline then looking for a percussion once I learn a little more about it. Seems like the inline would be a little easier to learn on before moving on to the traditional. Just waiting to hear back what model the CVA is to be sure what exactly it is before I buy it.

Went ahead and ordered the CVA. They said they didn't see the model stamped on the gun but I'm guessing based on what I've found online the rear Williams sight is covering it based on the photos. Thinking I'll pick up a new set of sights since the front blade is missing and the rear looks a little rough. Going to start looking around to see what I can find for supplies locally. Not much around here but hoping I can locate some BH209, if not I'm guessing 777 is next cleanest based on what I've read. I've read that round ball can be hit or miss in an inline (1:32 twist) so I'll see if I can track down some conical. Max 40 yards on whitetail should be no problem if I can dial in the load/weight.

Thanks for all the help so far!

One thing, I'm guessing I'll need to wait until it arrives, but can you tell based on the picture what type of primer it's set up for? Thinking I might have a look around locally and maybe have a few things on hand so when it arrives I'm all set to try it out.

Attachments

• cva top 2.jpg
    cva top 2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2
Sounds like you’re on the right track! If 40 yards is your max expected range on whitetails, I think just about anything will work fine. Appears to be a #11 nipple (but it could be musket.)

Well it arrived today, it's a firebolt, serial ends in a 98 so if I understand right that makes it a 1998. Now I'll do some digging to see what I can find local for supplies.

Attachments

• IMG_20220713_155830896.jpg
    IMG_20220713_155830896.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220713_155819109.jpg
    IMG_20220713_155819109.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1
Seriously though, it's a nice looking old rifle. I had a Traditions Buck Hunter years ago. I bought it as a gift for my son but he wasn't too interested in muzzleloading. I never fired it and ended up selling it.
Your gun looks very similar.
The one I had used # 11 caps but you could change the nipple for a musket cap.

Thanks, yea I like the one's that are back assward like me lol. I need to figure out exactly what I need for supplies, track down some new sights for it then get out and shoot. Looking forward to learning

wife's been wanting to take a trip to Halifax (our closest city) for a while now and there just so happens to be a Cabela's there so if I can't find any local I should be able to grab what i need there. I know of 1 or 2 local small hunting supply places and my local Hardware store sells a fair bit of hunting stuff so should be able to find a few things to try out.

From the reading I've done, seems 777 is probably what I'm going to try to go with. Thinking I'll send the serial to CVA and see what information they can give me on the gun and go from there. I've read there is a kit you can buy to convert it to 209 primers but if I can find no11's locally and get a working load figured out I'll stick to it

Last edited:
Looking around for iron sights for it I keep coming across this "Fits all CVA muzzleloaders and center-fire rifles made after 2001."
I sent CVA an email to check but anyone know if they changed enough between 98 and 01 that the sights won't fit?

This is the response I got so guess I'll just order a set and see if they fit

"Unfortunately that model was made before BPI outdoors took over CVA in 1999 and we do not have any parts, information, or manuals available."

Looking at the pictures the only thing I can see being an issue is is the profile of the barrel is slightly different. I'll give it a try and see.

Funny I have a fire bolt same year, I’m trying to sell mine, it’s picky with bullets. It shoot powerbelts great, not Thor or federal borlocks worth a damn. The hard part you may find may be finding primers. Great looking gun, did yours come with the extra breach plug so you could adapt to no.11 caps or use 209s ?

No, it didn't come with any extra, I may try to find the 209 conversion someday. For now I'm just trying to figure out what type of caps to get and where I can find some. I'm hoping a couple of the local mom and pop shops may have some when I get a chance to go have a look. In the meantime I'm just going to work on figuring out how to take it apart, clean it, etc. Completely new to muzzleloaders so lots to learn

Latest posts

Back