chopped .52 is back from Bestill

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Jeff does awesome work crown is perfect, highly recommend him if you need anything done.
Gun now weighs 8.5# with scope and is 38.25 in long and balances right on the action screw, it feels awesome coming to your shoulder and points great, feels like no effort needed swinging gun around.. with the longer barrel it always felt like it was wanting to pull out of my hand when pointing. That is one of those new Burris scopes I ordered on it.
Sorry for taped on cheek pad but cant find any I really like at the height I need.

20190114_125203.jpg

20190114_130331.jpg

I'll be curious to see how much velocity you'll lose with the shorter tube. Might not be too much at all.
I have a 26 inch 50 and a 22 inch 50. Same load and only 60 fps difference. I expected a lot more.
Not enough to worry about.

I emailed Western powders about the velocity loss with BH209 with the shorter barrel and he said it would be insignificant cant remember the exact number though..said gun would still handle 110-120 gr by volume loads fine, I shoot 110 gr BH and a 325 gr FTX out of it. Will see how it does now with the same load.

I'll be curious to see how much velocity you'll lose with the shorter tube. Might not be too much at all.
I have a 26 inch 50 and a 22 inch 50. Same load and only 60 fps difference. I expected a lot more.
Not enough to worry about.

Will give that a try think I would like it better then the slick feel/cold feel of the tape.

This is what I use...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FL9JKQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Cheek-Risor.jpg

For me they work well... They come with different size lifts. They can move around a little bit on the stock but have not been a problem for me.

ok thanks, the moving around is what I was worrying about especially pulling it up and down into tree stand and moving thru the woods.

For me they work well... They come with different size lifts. They can move around a little bit on the stock but have not been a problem for me.

That shortened barrel looks real good. I like the short barreled guns way better.

ok thanks, the moving around is what I was worrying about especially pulling it up and down into tree stand and moving thru the woods.

Dean, the new Beartooth Stock Riser came this morning. I just put it on my Ulite… It is really tight and I really do not think it will move around a bit. In fact when putting on I wasn't sure I was going to get it on!

Beartooth-Stock-Risor.jpg

I want to do the same thing in 45cal but i cant bring myself to butcher a Super DISC. Plus the fluting just wont look right. Sure would be nice to have a 45cal brush gun just for low to mid level heavy lead loads.

you might be able to have the end of your barrel turned in a lathe just a bit after chopping to put a smooth section in front of fluting not sure if that would work or maybe have a false muzzle brake made for it.
I figure if I can make the gun where it makes me enjoy using it will do whatever it takes to do it, I dont think it hurts value much in some cases probably enhances it.

I would need to find another first or have a custom barrel made for a spare Elite action i have laying around. I dont want to chop my Super DISC since i also shoot other projectiles in it.

Latest posts

Back