CHP 6 Is two better than one?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBinAR

Reaction score
It is no secret I have shot loads that have caused a considerable amount of debate in smokeless muzzle loading circles. To this date my name is less than mud at the Savage information center. I never started out wanting to cause an upheaval but then again I guess there was a time I was too stupid to avoid it. What caused all the debate? One word did: duplex.

Yes I?m responsible for duplex shooting in the 10ML and it is either a ?red badge of courage? or the ?scarlet letter? to carry for the rest of my days. That seems funny because I did not think of duplex nor am I anywhere near the first to use it successfully. If you have a Lyman book on reloading black powder cartridges you might notice that almost every BP case listed in the book has a 10% duplex load provided. Large bore target shooters have used the method longer than I can remember. And last but not least monstrous sized cases intended for African hunting have used a small amount of igniter powder since the beginning of smokeless shooting.

Despite the above facts it has been easy enough for critics to call all duplex shooting dangerous. To them and any one else with doubt I say: OK don?t shoot it and you?ll have no trouble. I?d also say the shooting of duplex has limited use even though it is perfectly safe. Yes I said perfectly safe! I think after more than 700 10ML shooters have reported shooting one hundred thousand plus shots without incident I can report it as safe.

I know what you?re thinking and it is the whole idea of this post: why? What reason is there for shooting a duplex in the first place? This is especially important when almost every cased round reloading manual says absolutely ?DON?T DUPLEX. The answer lies in the fact the 10ML (and the other examples quoted above) is not similar to a normal cased round. Also the bullets shot from a smokeless muzzleloader are not anywhere near normal for the caliber as would be shot from a case.

Since the bullet is a ?red herring? it requires special consideration. What is the normal weight bullet shot from a 50 caliber smokeless rifle? You can take my word on it, that bullet won?t weigh 262 grains (250 for the bullet 12 for the sabot). Load data for the 50 Alaskan lever gun will show bullets normally range in the 425 to 550 grain level. The heavier bullets can run 600 grains and the lightest weight you will ever see in a 50 caliber rifle (but not often) is 300 grains. So why does the most popular muzzle loading bullet weigh 262 grains?

Whatever the answer to the last question it can be stated a 250 grain bullet fired from a 50 caliber rifle raises problems that don?t occur with a heavier bullets or a smaller caliber bore. All you have to do to realize that is look at the powder suggestions for the factory loads. You will notice that all the loads suggest between 40 and 45 grains of powder for all weights of bullet. 45 grains is the top load because of the speed of the powder. None of the currently listed powders are actually RIFLE powder. One is a pistol powder (N110) and two (Imr-4759 and Xmr-5744) are reduced load rifle powders thus all are too fast burning to be used in normal rifle loads.

That should be no surprise as a very light weight bullet calls for a faster powder or a lot of a slower powder to make pressure. That is why you never see a 10ML load suggestion of 50 or 55 grains of powder. All powders are either too fast (the pressure would be excessive) or too slow (you need more powder for pressure) to work at these levels. So with a really light weight bullet and a large bore it is hard to match the powder level to a pressure that is useful for the conditions. That means a way to adjust the pressure of a given amount of powder with a given bullet weight would be very useful and that is exactly what duplex does.

Let?s look at two powders that can be shot smokeless and consider both their limitations. VV N110 is a very useful powder for a 250 grain bullet. It is easy to ignite and works up to a moderate speed at a good pressure for the entire system. The limitation is only 45 grains can be shot and stay below the best maximum pressure. H322 on the other can shoot a lot more powder than N110 and it too has good ignition qualities. However to get up to proper working pressure with the super light 250 grain bullet you have to use more than 80 grains of powder. Though this load will work at safe pressure you will find the recoil makes shooting it more than once an ill fated suggestion.

So it seems the two are totally incompatible with shooting say 60 grains of powder. N110 is too fast and H322 is too slow. But with duplex that seemingly improbable load level is a not a problem. We can speed up one powder and slow down the other by shooting both (not as a mix). If you load 20 grains of N110 and then simply put 40 grains of H322 on top it will shoot much like a powder designed for a 250 grain bullet and a 50 caliber rifle, because that is what it is.

Some will say: don?t you worry about the powders somehow mixing? My answer is no I don?t. You see I work my duplex loads so I?m always trying to increase the pressure of the slower powder rather than lower the pressure of the faster. These duplexes are loaded so they make the maximum pressure possible for such a load. Any mixture or shaking in together can only lessen the pressure it can never grow. So if the load is safe as a base it can only have less pressure (and be safer) with a disturbance.

I also know from many different trials and errors that once the bullet is seated properly it is almost impossible to have any load position movement that changes pressure or accuracy of the load. The claim can be backed up by the fact almost all duplex shooters report duplex is the most accurate load shot from their rifles. Again there should be no surprise. Rifles shoot with the best possible bullet speed and load pressure. The rifle itself picks what ?best? is but there is always a sweet spot for accuracy. With a duplex any load level can be adjusted to an almost infinite amount of possibilities.

In the above suggested load there is plenty of safe room to work with. The most accurate load might be 18/42 (18 grains of N110 under 42 grains of H322) or 21/39 but one thing for sure: there is always going to be an accurate position somewhere near the optimum pressure level without changing the base load level (there is always 60 grains total charge).

What I?m saying is a load is available at any charge level (50, 55, 60, 65, 70, etc.) any where between the two extremes of either N110 or H322 (45 to 85 grains) that has the same pressure as an ideal load of N110 or H322.

Some will note that the use for duplex is lessened by the development of loads that shoot single powders to speed with a 250 grain bullet. To that sentiment I agree. However there is still one problem. To reach the best pressure for consistency a powder like H-4198 or Reloader #7 will still have to shoot over 65 grains of powder. In many cases the bullet speed produced will be such recoil is more than just a concern. So shooting to an accurate level and an acceptable level of recoil may not both be possible. That?s no problem for duplex.

At this point I?d like to express a few ideas that should have come apparent in the discussion.

1. I never encouraged anyone to shoot duplex. People began to shoot it because they were friends of mind and they saw with their own eyes how well it worked. I still have no reason to convince you or anyone else to try it. If you don?t like it don?t shoot it and don?t suggest I told you to.
2. Duplex is for 250 grain (and lighter) bullets in a 50 caliber rifle. There is no real need for duplex with a 300 grain (or heavier) bullet or a smaller caliber rifle.
3. If you want to try it enlist the help of someone who has done it before and knows what he?s doing.
4. All the loads I suggest have been shot thousands of times and proven safe in several hundred rifles but they MUST be loaded correctly. In our suggested load as long as 20 grains of N110 and 40 grains of H322 are used it can?t be made hazardous. But with 40 or more grains of N110 and any amount of H322 all sorts of things (none good) could happen.
5. The idea began because shooting a 250 grain bullet is a very odd thing to do in a 50 caliber rifle.
6. Duplex can help achieve speed and accuracy while staying in an ideal pressure range
7. Shooting two powders at once cannot cause some type of magical explosion.
8. I only relate these things because I want to share what I know and learn. You have every reason to doubt me so ask others, look for examples, read up on the subject, and most of all think for yourself.

I have only shot duplex in the Savage model 10ML-II I make all the above statement as conerns that rifle only. I don't have any experience with other smokeless brands shooting duplex and cannot suggest a load or option for any other rifle.

RB,

Great info as usual...

Is there some sort of predermined way to establish what a ideal circumstance is for a given bullet. It seems most duplex loads are using the extreme ends of the spectrum of fast vs slow powders in combination to adjust to a medium. What are the factors which determine a duplex is warrented. I know you gain speed and reduce recoil by duplexing but other then trail and error how does one go about setting a goal whereby you achieve a "ideal" situation. I quess what I am asking is do we know enough to say we want to shot a bullet of a given weight at a given speed and that will require a certain pressure for a certain timeframe and all these things can be obtained using x amount of powder a and x amount of powder b. Not withstanding that the powders used would/could be many different types and as such what factors establish what is the best powders to use? Having done all this on paper so to speak we could then "tweek" the load for the "sweet spot" for a given rifle.
I know for every action there is a reaction but the pressure produced to propel the bullet and how it is created and how much and how long it is maintained affects the results of the shot thus it would seem that by playing with and adjusting the amount and duration of the powder burn (pressure) would also have a effect on the percieved recoil which might be one of the advantages of duplexing.

Thanks in advance

stumpy said:
RB,

Great info as usual...

Is there some sort of predermined way to establish what a ideal circumstance is for a given bullet. It seems most duplex loads are using the extreme ends of the spectrum of fast vs slow powders in combination to adjust to a medium. What are the factors which determine a duplex is warrented. I know you gain speed and reduce recoil by duplexing but other then trail and error how does one go about setting a goal whereby you achieve a "ideal" situation. I quess what I am asking is do we know enough to say we want to shot a bullet of a given weight at a given speed and that will require a certain pressure for a certain timeframe and all these things can be obtained using x amount of powder a and x amount of powder b. Not withstanding that the powders used would/could be many different types and as such what factors establish what is the best powders to use?
Thanks in advance

This is a great reply and I hope I can do it justice.

There is enough known to make certain statements about pressure, bullet speed and load level for a duplex shooting a 250 grain bullet. Not long ago I suggested these speed levels as guidelines for a given charge amount.

1 less than 2400fps = factory load 45 grain limit
2 2400 to 2425fps = 50 grains
3 2425 to 2500fps = 55 grains
4 2500 to 2575fps = 60 grains
5 2575 to 2625fps = 65 grains
6 2625 to 2675fps = 70 grains
7 faster than 2675fps OUCH = 75 grains

As you state most people seem to go to the 75 grain load and in excess of 2600fps. However I think that's is often a "knee jerk" reaction to just wanting as fast as possible. Most shooters would be better served by choosing a recoil level that they can live with and be happy that accuracy and some speed can be had in the same load. The loads in this chart are given to very closely mirror the pressure found in a factory load of 44 grains of N110 shooting a 300 grain bullet

Duplex does not actually reduce recoil. It does allow more efficiency in some cases and because it would burn less powder than an inefficent load the overall load weight can be less and that would help recoil but not extensively.

A duplex is warrented when an efficient load cannot be had shooting a single at the load level and bullet speed wanted by the shooter. That's why the chart says if you wish to shoot less than 2400fps shoot a factory powder. It could also say if you don't mind a 70+ grain load that kicks you can have that with H-4198 or Reloader #7 as well. So duplex is a bridge between factory speeds and the big kicking lots of powder needed to shoot a 250 grain bullet to adaquate pressure with a slower (it's actually very fast for rifle powder but slower than factory suggestions) burning single powder

More on duplex.
:D I have shot duplex from nearly the beginning. Additionally, I have found that duplex improves the accuracy I can get in nearly every smokeless MLer I shoot regardless of bullet wt or caliber. I happen to believe that even the 300g bullet's accuracy, or at least efficiency, is also helped with duplex - just not as much as lighter bullets. The lighter the bullet, the more duplex helps. The 45 cal with 200SSTs and 195 DCs certainly benefits from duplex. Even the rather inefficient, extremely popular, 14/61 duplex is more accurate that any other 250SST load in the 10/ML2, at least for many of us. 75gs of powder for 2630'/sec isn't very efficient. RB's later direction of 20/40 is certainly a needed direction for this bullet wt/velocity.
WHY DUPLEX: as I've stated before it is to overcome the initial pressure building problem that a smokeless MLer has. No neck tension to overcome and , more importantly, no land engraving both cause too much bullet movement to occur prior to pressure build up. That is why the faster powders have traditionally been needed. The ignitor powder quickly gets the load to pressure and then the primary powder(slower powder- the 2nd powder) which has been brought to pressure sustains the pressure over a longer burn time - thus greater velocity w/o higher pressure. This ratio of how much to use of what is one that can be carefully developed. Remember that extreme accuracy can be developed at low pressures but at the expense of extreme temp sensitivity. The trick is to get an extremely accurate load at a high enough pressure(that doesn't have undue temp sensitivity). The book loads are all high enough but velocity suffers in comparison to what could be available with 10-30gs more powder at equal or lower pressure.
I have been personally disappointed at all the negative, ignorant attacks on duplex and duplex users over the years. Even lies have been said about me on this very board(that I demeaned those who use book loads - when in fact, few have been more complimentary concerning the accuracy , practicality, and temp insensitivity of the book loads than I have been) due to the fact that I wouldn't yield concerning duplex. People can and have freely stated all kinds of negative, totally unfounded and ignorant opinions(as fact) on duplex and the posts have been accepted; whereas anything advocating duplex as an alternative has been forbidden. Much akin to the current situation in this country where God's name can be repeatedly taken in vain on TV, movies, etc and Christianity can be demeaned and restricted but all other religons, especially Moslem, are protected. Duplex, while not even faintly in the same league as Christianity, seems to have received the same treatment as Christianity has as of late in our country. :D :D I do see some trend reversal on both accounts though - after all we are discussing this aren't we?.
Bottom line: duplex handles the problem of initial pressure build up in smokeless MLers, is more accurate than any single powder load for many of us, is scientifically sound and verifiable, has been shown by pressure testing to have less pressure variance than any single powder loads - more consistent pressures, has been tested extensively, and few who have really worked with it have gone back to single powder loads.
Only on the 50 cal 28" barrel SMI with 300g bullets was I not able to get greater accuracy with duplex. Still the loads I shoot in the SMI are somewhat temp sensitive - need to get the modified plugs so I can shoot a little higher pressure. Actually, for those of you who know/remember, I need to get a workable SMI plug period as I ruined mine while it saved me from myself. Duplex has helped with 10-ML2,26" 28 twist 45 smokeless, 25 1/2 " 22 twist 45, and bullet wts from 175 to 300.
Next will be discussion between the advantages of 45 vs 50 for conical bullets.

Would any of the original powders be good as a booster? 5744 for example makes quite a lot of pressure but is fairly slow shooting. If you used it with H322 would it accomplish the same thing as N110 or would the ratios have to be changed :?:

JimA said:
Would any of the original powders be good as a booster? 5744 for example makes quite a lot of pressure but is fairly slow shooting. If you used it with H322 would it accomplish the same thing as N110 or would the ratios have to be changed :?:
Jim,
I use 5744 as a booster in all my 45 cal loads. Incidentally, that is about all I shoot currently. After all, why on Earth would anyone shoot a 50 if they had a 45? I think 5744 produces a little more pressure/wt powder than VV-110 but insignificantly. Any of the 3 book powders should work well as a booster. My favorite 45 load is 5744/H-322 200SST 12/50. This is extremely accurate but likely pressure starved. I suspect if I were to work with it, which I will, that 15-18/45-42 will be faster and have a better pressure for temp insensitivity. 4759 and VV-110 can virtually be used interchangably.

duplex in the .40 sabotless

To SW: Do you anticipate trying some duplex loads in your .40 sabotless?

Re: duplex in the .40 sabotless

jims said:
To SW: Do you anticipate trying some duplex loads in your .40 sabotless?
Jim,
:D Does a bear go pottie in the woods?
Of course, because there is no neck tension nor land engraving. This is the primary reason that I believe duplex is ideal for virtually any smokeless ML load. If the bullet is extremely tight and I can get as fast as I want with a single fast powder, then the answer is "no"; but I anticipate a duplex for a 200SST of something like 14/36 VV-110 or 5744/H-322 or H-4198. I will need to use Quick Load and loading manuals for 40 cal/straight cartridge loads to get a good idea on what to use. Quick Load will allow the use of a straight cartridge design with little to no neck/engraving tension. The above loading is just hypothetical.
I still want a load that is pleasant to shoot so likely I won't push a 235 g bullet over 2600, a 200SST over 2700, or a 175 Barnes over 2850'/sec. Those should be plenty fast anyway.

RB,

I know you have said with the duplex loads you work up are safe even if you mix the powders rather then pouring them seperate but if you mix the powders do you in effect create a third powder as far as the burn properies are concerned or do you still have the advantage of the 2 powders as seperate propellents. I ask this because you speak of total volume of powder as a major factor in duplex loading thus would it be feasible to add for example some sort of buffer to a faster powder for example vv110 in such a way as to increase both the total volume of single powder charge while at the same time increase the amount of the powder for example 50 grns of powder and 20 grns of buffer...Would this not in effect increase the size of the space in which the powder is burned thus allowing for a higher total volume of gas (energy) at a given pressure or is that the same thing a duplex or slower burning powder does?
Hope this makes sense?

Thanks

It would seem that piezo pressure measurement would work very well on a smokeless muzzleloader. Anybody using that technique, or can you point to some results (especially with duplex loads)?

thanks...jim

Jim,
RB has many Pressure Traces of duplex. Be advised, in case he forgets to mention, that the method of calibration he used when testing the VV-110/H-322 duplex pressures caused the recorded pressures to be a little higher than actual. Also observe that the std devs of the duplex pressures are somewhat less than the single powder loads. My std devs of velocities were lower with duplex that with any single powder loads except occasional loads of 44-46gs VV-110/250XTP. The pressures of duplex shooting the 250SST over 2600'/sec were a few thousand #s less than the pressures shooting 300g bullets with published book loads. The pistol powders at the 44-45g level have significant pressures with 250g bullets and significantly more with the 300g bullets. The drop in velocity of a 300g XTP vs a 250g XTP with the same powder load, such as 45g VV-110, is fairly small.

HunterJim said:
It would seem that piezo pressure measurement would work very well on a smokeless muzzleloader. Anybody using that technique, or can you point to some results (especially with duplex loads)?

thanks...jim

I have measured duplex loads with three (two if you discribe the Oheler 43 and 83 as one system) different pressure measuring systems. The systems I used are all strain gauge systems versus the transducer type. Still there is no doubt in my mind that the pressures obtained are within a reasonable tolerance of actual.

11-N110X2064-H322.gif

The image above is a trace of a duplex shot some time ago. Compare it with the following trace of the factory load of 44 grains of Xmr-5744 and the 300 grain SST.

5744base.GIF

Any way you look at it pressure is not a restricting concern. The idea behind the concept was to get control of a pressure starved condition.

stumpy said:
RB,

I know you have said with the duplex loads you work up are safe even if you mix the powders rather then pouring them seperate but if you mix the powders do you in effect create a third powder as far as the burn properies are concerned or do you still have the advantage of the 2 powders as seperate propellents. I ask this because you speak of total volume of powder as a major factor in duplex loading thus would it be feasible to add for example some sort of buffer to a faster powder for example vv110 in such a way as to increase both the total volume of single powder charge while at the same time increase the amount of the powder for example 50 grns of powder and 20 grns of buffer...Would this not in effect increase the size of the space in which the powder is burned thus allowing for a higher total volume of gas (energy) at a given pressure or is that the same thing a duplex or slower burning powder does?
Hope this makes sense?

Thanks

I had to read this several times before I could decide how to answer. Actually I was confused at first but after a while I realized it contains a brilliant deduction.

Stumpy has seen that a faster powder in a larger case with a massive volume will shoot at a lower pressure than one loaded into case that achieves 100% load density.

It is a great question and one I couldn't understand myself without some review.

Using a quicker powder with a wad or filler containing lots of air space can indeed lower pressure depending on how much air volume created. However, it generally won't help raise bullet speed substantially. You can?t get something for nothing and in this case if you lower pressure you also lower efficiency with less efficiency it takes more powder to reach a given bullet speed so it's a catch 22 situation. Besides whatever the filler weight adds to the bullet weight and that prevents much pressure saving possibilities as well.

Latest posts

Back