Chronograph for muzzleloader, best practical choice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doccbst1

Reaction score
I've looked and researched, thought I'd best ask.
Pick so far is Magnetospeed Sporter under $200. Conventional styles Caldwell, Chrony, etc look good too, but sabot damage, lighting variables are cons, add a little more and get the sporter. Next step up is $400 for the magnetospeed V3. Then the Labrador $550 +.
What's the obvious choice ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200617-094603.png
    Screenshot_20200617-094603.png
    104 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Gosh... it is hard to believe but I to use the Completion Electronics Chrono - in fact I have two of them and have had them for several years and they continue to work great. They are not on the expensive - expensive side but they are consistent.

265-Misc-Pics.jpg

This pic shows the chrono set up on a tri pod for checking (near) muzzle velocity

Bench-Chrono.jpg

I would highly suggest you get the debris shield especially shooting sabots/wads

1592426853043.png

I like my Caldwell G2, it has a rechargeable battery and I can also connect a spare battery pack to it if the internal battery runs low.
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Bal...caldwell+chronograph+g2&qid=1592427866&sr=8-2
I like that the chrono can use bluetooth to connect to my iPhone to record all my shots, insert pics, make notes, etc., the app also records the temp. and pressure at the time of the shot. The tripod is wiggly but works.

Last edited:
I like my Caldwell G2
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Bal...caldwell+chronograph+g2&qid=1592427866&sr=8-2
I like the ability to use my iPhone to record all my shots, insert pics, make notes, etc., the app also records the temp. and pressure at the time of the shot. The tripod is wiggly but works.
I just got one a few months ago. I too like that fact that it has a 25' chord that plugs right into my smart phone & works with a free app. I'm pretty happy with it so far & have had no probs as of yet with it. I set mine up at 15' from muzzle. For the money - I think I paid 135.99 or 138.99 on sale on Amazon

Personally, i would buy ANYTHING besides a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono that ronlaughlin And Sabotloader Show above. I own that same Unit and mine has been Junk from Day 1, Mine will Change Numbers Around On it’s own? It has done this from Day 1, Competition Electronics “Supposedly” Replaced it, But The Replacement does the exact same thing. I can’t prove it, But I don’t think they Replaced my Unit? I wish i had Scribed my initials inside the Battery Compartment when i sent mine back to Them. I had a few go arounds over mine with The CEO of Competition Electronics (Jim Bailey) in Short, They DO NOT Stand Behind Their Product. I was Told that I could send it back for Repair at a Cost. I can’t speak for all of them, but my Competition Electronics Pro Chrono is a GARBAGE, And the Company is a Joke to Deal with!

If i were serious about a Chronograph, i would Buy a Lab Radar

When i say Change Numbers Around, I will give an example to Show what i mean. The problem is happening when i Shut the Unit off, and turn it back on to Review it. As long as i Write the Numbers Down Before i Shut the Unit off i am Good to go, I believe the Unit Reads Accurately, I have shot Arrows over mine, Centerfire Cartridge Guns, Air Rifles, and My Muzzleloaders. The readings it gives with each Projectile is what one would Expect. My arrows are 300-305 Fps, my Air Rifles are 850-1,000 Fps, My Centerfires are 2,750 for .308 Win, and 3,000 to 3,125 for .300 Win Mag.

Lets say i shoot 5 Shots, and they read as Follows

1450, 1465, 1422, 1418, 1434

Now I shut the unit off, load up and Travel Home, When i get home and Turn the Unit Back on to Review, The Numbers Above have VANISHED, Actually they have been changed around to Something TOTALLY Different??? They might read as Follows

242, 500, 422, 312, 190

Numbers That Don’t even make Sense?

I have a Red Chrony. They made them 1000 years ago. It works great. Had it out the other day shooting .177 pellets across it. Worked fine. Definitely get a shield or make one to protect it from wads. I even lay a protective concrete block to protect the screen portion of the gadget. Think I paid $100.00 for it. It was one of the first to verify the ballistics printed by the manufacturer were rather optimistic.

I have the same one sabotloader has, I bought it at a yardsale for $10 and bought a tripod at another yardsale for $5. It would work for an outing then it would light the screen and not give any speed readings. This went on for a while with a half a dozen different new batteries. Then I tried to recharge my non-rechargeable batteries of which only the Duracell Max would recharge and I have not had any problems with it since. I believe they just like a fully charged battery of which I think the stores are selling a lot of (old) stock.

the fiddle factor of the optical units is not necessary. especially if you shoot at a range where others are shooting. having to set up the tripod and line the rifle up while the range is cold etc, etc.

with the MS you just strap it on and shoot. with the LR you set it on the bench and shoot. i have an optical and it sets on the shelf now.

I have a Red Chrony. They made them 1000 years ago. It works great. Had it out the other day shooting .177 pellets across it. Worked fine........

One of them resides here. It is probably over 30 years old now. It works good, after a wire was repaired. It was replaced with an Oehler 35p when that first came out, The chrony seemed to have problems clocking bullets from a 25-06, and a 257 Weatherby, and other high speed cartridges.

The 35P was left behind when we left Montana. The red chrony worked good for muzzle loaders, but then didn't. Once again it was replaced. It has since been repaired, and works good.

The replacement of the red chrony was the Competition Electronics Pro. This machine works real good. Pro Chrono is easy to set up, and easy to use, and accurate, and stores strings, and calculates stuff one may wish to know.

On a cloudy day, the Pro Chrono is taken from inside the truck, and set on the back of the truck, and turned on. One stands back about ten feet, and one shoots over the top of the Pro Chrono. No further set up needed. Kinda handy for a shooter that enjoys simplicity. Some days one may wish it didn't work so good; one then would have an excuse to purchase the Lab Radar.

I have the Magnetospeed sporter and it has been excellent for all rim and center fire rifles, however, the instructions specifically state to NOT use with muzzleloaders shooting sabots. The more expensive model ok with sabots.

Bill

I’ll second ENCORE50A In the 2nd post, for an inexpensive entry level chronograph...I’ve had good luck with the Caldwell Pro Ballistic Precision Premium Kit! I did also fabricate a so called “debris shield” from a piece of lexan for use when using sabots or patches, much better results and allot less errors!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back