Circle inserts (17 Globe front sights)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This is no new news to you guy’s that use these, just thought I’d share with the folks that haven’t, or are on the fence about using them. These Circle inserts are AMAZING! I have always been a big fan of my Lee Shaver’s fine bead inserts, but i recently started playing with these Circle inserts more, I ended up with some official NRA 100 yard Small bore targets (Round Black Aiming Bull) and decided to try matching a circle insert, WOW what an amazing sight picture! My last outing I kept switching the sizes out til i got a perfect sight picture for me, I ended up shooting 1 of my best Groups with these circles. The key is matching the insert to the Target at various distances. You really need the whole card of circles, you are sure to find an insert to match your target! These Circles will be ‘Go To’ inserts for Group shooting from now on :yeah: I really like the fine beads, but the problem with them (at least for me) is i lose them in a Black Bull and have to keep Kanting my rifle off to 1 side or the other and then back to try and make sure i am centered in the Bull, when using my fine beads i prefer a White Aiming bull. From now on my beads will be for hunting, and my target work will be done with these circles. It’s really amazing how precise you can get with Peep sights

A picture of my Circles, These all came in 1 Lee Shaver Card, my fine beads on the right. Take the time and Give these Circles a try on a Round Bull, i think you will be amazed :yeah:
LCOfR1X.jpg

I'm trying to get a Lyman rifle for round ball shooting is there a peep sight and will these inserts work on the Lyman

Rlsmith said:
I'm trying to get a Lyman rifle for round ball shooting is there a peep sight and will these inserts work on the Lyman

Rlsmith, Yes most definitely, i own a Brand new Lyman Great Plains ‘Hunter’ 1:32 Twist .54 Cal. my first and only Brand new Current Production Muzzleloader. Lyman actually makes a 57 Peep specifically for the Lyman Great Plains rifles, Called a 57GPR, it comes with a Wedge type shim to go between the Tang and the 57 Peep Base, The Tang on the Lyman Great Plains Rifles are already drilled and tapped for the Peep Sight. The Globe is a Lyman 17AEU (AUE stands for European Dovetail) The AEU is .464 Height. The inserts i speak of above are designed by Lee Shavers to fit the Lyman 17 globe. By Far The most effective open sight system i have EVER used! I have peep sight setups on every Muzzleloader i own, i have about the same amount of money in my sight setups as i have in my Rifles, Regular buckhorn style Open sights are right on the edge of useless to me, I simply cant shoot them well anymore, my right eye just dont allow it. These peep sights are a SERIOUS Game changer! :yeah:

Question with regards to the Front Sights themselves. I understand that they are available in various diameters and heights.
What exactly would having a larger or higher front sight enable? Why would someone want to opt for a higher front sight vs. a lower one? Or a smaller versus a larger one?

Baccummba said:
Question with regards to the Front Sights themselves. I understand that they are available in various diameters and heights.
What exactly would having a larger or higher front sight enable? Why would someone want to opt for a higher front sight vs. a lower one? Or a smaller versus a larger one?

Example, if your rifle is shooting high at 100 yards and your Rear sight is adjusted as low as it will possibly go, you would need a taller front sight. The height of the front sight you need depends on the particular rifle, Does the tang sit high like a TC Hawken/Renegade, or is it Low like say a Remington Rolling Block? Where the rear sight is in correlation to the Front determines the front sight height you need. I don’t know an easy answer for it?

Front round aperatures are made different sizes to center the front sight AROUND the black center bull of a target. The different sizes allow light (white) so you can distinct between the bull and sight. Believe me, too small front sight and you can’t hold center bull as easily. Your eye will naturally center thru all the circles - bull, front and rear sights.
Irregular shapes such as silhouettes, don’t give a true round object- some people prefer a post or other front aperature. And some still like a post under a bull..

52Bore said:
Front round aperatures are made different sizes to center the front sight AROUND the black center bull of a target. The different sizes allow light (white) so you can distinct between the bull and sight. Believe me, too small front sight and you can’t hold center bull as easily. Your eye will naturally center thru all the circles - bull, front and rear sights.
Irregular shapes such as silhouettes, don’t give a true round object- some people prefer a post or other front aperature. And some still like a post under a bull..

Excellent post Rick! It amazes me how our eye naturally centers the circles

Idaholewis said:
Excellent post Rick! It amazes me how our eye naturally centers the circles
Our creator was definitely a LRML as he created our eyes round for a reason!

Awsome post guys . Just picked up my Gibbs last week . I want to start playing with more traditional guns . I figure I better get at it while my eyes are still decent

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Awsome post guys . Just picked up my Gibbs last week . I want to start playing with more traditional guns . I figure I better get at it while my eyes are still decent

You gotta try these circles Doug!! They really do work :yeah: To me personally I don’t think they would be that Great for targets other than Round Bulls? They were no doubt designed to work with Round Bull Targets. But I’m sure there are guys that use them for everything? Take your time and keep swapping through the sizes, all of a sudden 1 will REALLY stand out to ya :yeah: It amazes me how Accurate you can get with an open sight setup when everything is right. When i was buying my Long range Soule Peep sight from Lee Shaver’s i asked him over the phone what his best 1,000 yard group was? He told me 5 Shots in 8 inches, That is pretty mind boggling to think that kind of accuracy is achievable at 1,000 yards with Open/Peep sights

That's crazy ! Amazing what 1800 technology can do . I have been thinking about this for awhile . Circle sights would seem to be perfect for bull type targets . I'm not so sure when dealing with silhouettes or square Creedmore . Just gonna have to play to see what will work the best . Some use post, some crosshairs others still use circle sights ? Time will tell

How about hunting with a 17 globe and post? I have considered glow painting a post and perhaps even milling/filing with dremel an opening for light. onnce things are dialed in I would loctite the threads if needed, thoughts? I do hunt in dark timber

Latest posts

Back