cleaned the Scout conversion up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
Well I went through the scouts barrel again trying to make sure I didn't have any copper up by the muzzle, butch's bore shine and bronze or brass brush and then more cleanup with patches I think it's clean. I have been searching for a reason my groups opened up some recently and I did notice that it appeared my flash hole through the tungsten bushing may have had some carbon buildup so I worked on it with the cutting torch cleaning wires and it appears to now be a touch bigger. also yesterday I stopped in cabelas and bought a set of the warne fixed steel verticle scope rings. I just feel the double screw setup on the bottom of the rings is more sturdy in connection to the base. I have another medical treatment tommorrow and then I'll be ready to give it a go again. How often do ya'll have to clean the flash hole in your breech plugs when using large magnum rifle primers with hankin's His system? just curious. I'm social distancing out here on my farm, and talking to my dogs and cows like they are people, lol kip

almost forgot about the new shooting front and rear bags I bought yesterday at cabelas, the front one is called a tack driver or something , I t is about a foot long with a groove or crack down the middle, I had one before and it worked good until a sling swivel tore it open. anyway its made by calmont and so is the rear bag which has rabbit ears. I found some pieces of boards to adjust the height with.

..................How often do ya'll have to clean the flash hole in your breech plugs when using large magnum rifle primers with hankin's His system? just curious. I'm social distancing out here on my farm, and talking to my dogs and cows like they are people, lol kip

I use the ASG system. I have never had to clean the flash hole, short of general cleaning, rather using smokeless or BH209. I only use LRMP's, the 215M Match.
I use a partial bottle of Hoppe's and drop the plug into that while I clean the rifle. I just remove the plug, run a twisted up piece of paper towel down it and twist it, followed by Q-tips.

I just check my bushings for wear, they should be self cleaning from the hot gases passing through them. My bushings in the 209 primer guns seem to burn-in a little on the powder side forming a slight cone shape.

I use the drill bit in the fire channel from the primer to the bushing often, but I have never cleaned out the flash channel in the bushing. Mine is also an Arrowhead plug.

thanks ya'll. I'm just looking for possibillities as to why my groups opened up a little. jumping around from bullet to bullet doesn't help I'm sure. The original best shooters were the parker be 275's and fury star tip 2's in 275 and I haven't shot them since, oh yeah there was the barnes tez 250's that did good too.

Back