Cleaning a Sidelock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to get too far off subject, but as a hobby welder I happened upon this article re the dangers of using breakclean with regard to cleaning metal prior to welding. It may or may
not be applicable here, but I think this is really good to know info.
Safety Alert! Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Gas
[/QUOTE]
Does it need the argon to create phosgene? (I’m not a chemist). I am only dealing with oxy-acetylene welding, but, I’ve heard different refrigerants, when exposed to acids (burnout) and heat can cause phosgene gas. I’ve been hit by some nasty stuff a time or two while changing a compressor. Definitely cleans the nasal passages, but I do my best to stay upwind of it.

Does it need the argon to create phosgene? (I’m not a chemist). I am only dealing with oxy-acetylene welding, but, I’ve heard different refrigerants, when exposed to acids (burnout) and heat can cause phosgene gas. I’ve been hit by some nasty stuff a time or two while changing a compressor. Definitely cleans the nasal passages, but I do my best to stay upwind of it.
[/QUOTE]

A very interesting thought sdporter, I too did air conditioning as a part of my mechanics job along with quite a bit of oxygen and acetylene welding. On the air conditioning I did, I used phosphorous bronze self fluxing soldering rods and I didn't notice any strange fumes, but they could've been there because you still heated till it was dull red. Very interesting thought, that never entered my mind in all my years. It's kinda like the brakleen thing, now that I know some of the dangers, I will still use it as I have, and I don't do much welding of any kind anymore. I did think it did a real nice job of cleaning out the port on my side lock muzzleloader. It also does a beautiful job of removing that sticky stuff left after you peel labels off.
Squint

Beauty! Is that a traditions? Ima sucker for a laminate. I wish i could find a lam stock for my renegade.

michiganmuzzy

Check with Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply Co.
1-815-968-1995

According to the website, you can provide your own wood to be shaped into any of their stock patterns.

I don't know if they would use their machinery on a laminated blank, but it never hurts to ask. Richards Microfit Stocks (1-800-895-7420) sells laminated blanks in a variety of colors, with varying forearm thicknesses.

If Pecatonica would do it then you would have to bear the cost of the blank, and then the cost of having it shaped into a Renegade stock. As I recall it would be inletted for everything, except the buttplate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beauty! Is that a traditions? Ima sucker for a laminate. I wish i could find a lam stock for my renegade.
Yes, I picked it up at the shop in Old Saybrook, Connecticut. It was a display model. If my memory is correct, I believe it was in 1995.
Laminate stock, I guess stainless steel barrel. 1in 20 twist. I have a Burris timberline 4X20mm scope mounted on it. It's a good carbine but it seems to sit in the safe most of the time.

michiganmuzzy

Check with Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply Co.
1-815-968-1995

According to the website, you can provide your own wood to be shaped into any of their stock patterns.

I don't know if they would use their machinery on a laminated blank, but it never hurts to ask. Richards Microfit Stocks (1-800-895-7420) sells laminated blanks in a variety of colors, with varying forearm thicknesses.

If Pecatonica would do it then you would have to bear the cost of the blank, and then the cost of having it shaped into a Renegade stock. As I recall it would be inletted for everything, except the buttplate.
Sent Pecatonica an email.

About the only thing I haven't liked about my carbine with it's short 20 or 22 inch barrel, (I have to measure it again), is that it's pretty much the same as shooting a 12 gauge with slugs.
I'm hoping to find a bit of a lighter bullet that will perform well for me.

I don't cast my own at this time. I bought some 295 grain powerbelts, hollow points, at Walmart. They were only 8 bucks.
Never tried them but for the price, why not.
They make a 245 grainer which I may try as well.

If they don’t work out, you can always make catfish sinkers with them. Lots of guys do.

Back