Cleaning between shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish Lad

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to try some 240 gr XTP and Barnes 290 gr TMZ in my 50 cal Pro Hunter FX.I only have 50 gr 777 pellets to use. I was curious as to when you more experienced muzzleloaders clean, after every shot or when it gets hard to load? Thanks

With T7, run a slightly damp patch between rounds followed by a dry patch and the BEST by far IMO, is Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. Take an ever so lightly damp patch and swab between rounds. NOT A WET PATCH, just slightly damp. Follow it up with one dry patch in and out.

Encore, do you swab/brush between shots with Dunamis and smokeless powders as well?

I don't use T7 anymore but when using BH I run one dry patch between rounds with DUNAMIS. When shooting SML, it doesn't get swabbed at all.

Thanks. I thought that is what you had said earlier but wasn't sure.

Cleaned after every shot today, 2 50 gr pellets of 777 and 240 gr XTP. went from 2 1/2 inch groups to 1 inch @ 100 yards. That'll do since i can't adjust the powder amount. I'll see how the 290 gr TMZ shoot next time.

Cleaned after every shot today, 2 50 gr pellets of 777 and 240 gr XTP. went from 2 1/2 inch groups to 1 inch @ 100 yards. That'll do since i can't adjust the powder amount. I'll see how the 290 gr TMZ shoot next time.
Perfect. If you don't shoot a ton, what you're shooting will harvest game for you with no problem. Congrats on the 1" :)

Why not try loose T7 powder? It would be cheaper and you can really tailor your load for accuracy. But you can't argue with a 1" group at 100yds. :lewis:

I probably will. Powder been scarce here in Southern Utah.

Why not try loose T7 powder? It would be cheaper and you can really tailor your load for accuracy. But you can't argue with a 1" group at 100yds. :lewis:
MOA at any range is great and I have had excellent results with almost the same combo of 2 pellets of T7 in back of a Barnes 250 gr T-EZ.

I don’t have a lot of experience but I am being taught by some old timers that have hunted with black powder for decades.

Based on what they have shared, I think your primary use should dictate whether you clean after every shot or something else, more so than physical ease.

Strictly from a hunting perspective, I have been taught to clean after every 3 shots on the range during practice and never after every shot. I have also been taught that off season when I practice, I need to wear my hunting clothes and boots, and I need to reload standing, kneeling, and cross legged sitting. using only the gear I will hunt with.

Reason: In the field, especially with larger game like Elk and Moose, you need to be proficient in loading a quick follow up shot and as unlikely as it is, you may even need to load a third follow up shot.

That said, if your off-season range practice always involves cleaning between shots, with a brass range rod that you do not carry in the field, while sitting at a comfortable range table, you will build improper muscle memory. Then you will be more likely to flub things during the critical seconds it takes to reload in the field as you are standing, kneeling or sitting on uneven ground, in heavy clothing, after hours of physical exertion….as your wounded elk or moose gets back up and starts quartering away.

As I get more life experience, I will find out if this perspective pans out. Sounds right at this point.

I don’t have a lot of experience but I am being taught by some old timers that have hunted with black powder for decades.

Based on what they have shared, I think your primary use should dictate whether you clean after every shot or something else, more so than physical ease.

Strictly from a hunting perspective, I have been taught to clean after every 3 shots on the range during practice and never after every shot. I have also been taught that off season when I practice, I need to wear my hunting clothes and boots, and I need to reload standing, kneeling, and cross legged sitting. using only the gear I will hunt with.

Thanks for your input, but I believe shot placement is critical and this muzzleloader is way more accurate with a clean barrel.

I use PYRODEX RS in my 54. My rifle barrel is seasoned with TC Bore Butter. I shoot a 30gr round ball over 80 grains of PYRODEX. At the range I have shot more than 50 times (that is about enough for my 76 year old shoulder) without cleaning between shots. With the hopes of hunting in a muzzleloader only area here in the Republik of Kalifornia, I bought A TC Triumph in .50 caliber. When I took it to the range for a shakedown (with open sights and a scope) I used PYRODEX pellets and Winchester 209 primers. 40 shots were no problem but the breech-plug was quite filthy when I pulled it, at home. I will shoot lead bullets at the range with the Triumph as I will do my hunting with my 47 year old Swedish .30-06 and Barnes bullets..Unless I get picked for a muzzleloader only area.

Latest posts

Back