Cleaning During Sighting In

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer36

Reaction score
I will be sighting in my CVA Accura V2 with 100 gr of White Hots and Hornady XTP's with green sabot. How often do you think I need to swab out the barrel? Hopefully I won't need much more than 3-4 shots. What else should be done?

For my Optima and my Daughters Wolf, with White Hots, I swabbed between each shot- dry. I have since learned to WET swab with a patch dampened with 50% alcohol and 50% Ballistol that I use. Then follow with dry patches. Some use glass cleaner such as Windex, some use spit. All personal preference.
I don't use the White Hots anymore, but my daughter does. She doesn't get good groups when using them, neither did I, but it's just for trigger time.
Have you boresighted already? I got lucky last week when I sighted in my V2 Pistol with a few shots, a little math for clicks, and my shooting buddy urging me to shoot the 100 yard after 3 shots at 25.

For my Optima and my Daughters Wolf, with White Hots, I swabbed between each shot- dry. I have since learned to WET swab with a patch dampened with 50% alcohol and 50% Ballistol that I use. Then follow with dry patches. Some use glass cleaner such as Windex, some use spit. All personal preference.
I don't use the White Hots anymore, but my daughter does. She doesn't get good groups when using them, neither did I, but it's just for trigger time.
Have you boresighted already? I got lucky last week when I sighted in my V2 Pistol with a few shots, a little math for clicks, and my shooting buddy urging me to shoot the 100 yard after 3 shots at 25.
The scope/gun has been sighted in with Hornady SST 300 gr with 90 gr BH 209 but I have been convinced to switch to 240 gr XTP. I don't like loose powder after using pellets for 20 years. So I should be very close to zero. Just need to fine tune it to the new load combination.

Ah, I see. You're just shooting a group and clicking to the center of POI. Right?
Should be no problem, now the question- First shot-clean/primer fouled barrel? Or are you going to make a fouling shot before heading out? It will be a moot point IF it doesn't matter to your barrel.

Back