Cleaning Firing Pin Assembly

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTGrad

Reaction score
Do you all disassemble the firing pin assembly after each range session with your CVA and clean it? With BH209 I’ve only cleaned mine after 2-3 sessions. Most of the time I just take a Hoppe’s soaked patch and clean the breech face. Any issues? I never had any yet but I do have a new Accura MR I just shot. I’m debating cleaning the firing pin.

Take it out and see if it’s dirty, then you can plan when to take it out in the future. I took my son’s assembly out when I first bought the rifle used. The breech plug has no blowback so I haven’t taken the assembly out since. I check the function of the pin and it has always felt good when moving it back and forth.

I clean mine every time. Just unscrew it, pull the pin and spring. I soak them while scrubbing the threads and such. Brush off the parts and blow out every thing with air. I do replace the o-ring every time, my preference. Reassemble and done. Maybe a 5 min chore but guarantee no problems after. My breech plug has blow back. I've tried measuring primers and the o-ring thing with no luck. Next BP_ will be a Lehigh.

Cleaned it tonight no problem. Same assembly as my generation 1 Accura with the bolt breech plug.

I shoot 777, and I refuse to clean the firing pin every time. I shot about 5 times for a total of about 50 shots, and cleaned it then. No problem, or buildup of crud. The shotshell primers are not corrosive, so I don't imagine it is a huge problem. That said, I'd like a solution to the issue of blowback. My Accura long range doesn't shoot anything I've tried to the accuracy I was expecting. I've tried 3 powders, and about a dozen bullets so far.

c1rtnmth.jpg

This should have been with the primer picture which I am unable to add/edit.

What Busta said. The O-Ring in the primer pocket stops the blowback so that the cleaning process is quick and simple. I suggest that the firing pin assembly be removed, cleaned & lubed, reassembled and make sure that the bushing is flush with the receiver face. Hold the trigger and push/release the hammer and the pin should move freely. When loading a primer using the O-Ring point the barrel/action downward and close with a firm snap.

Latest posts

Back