Cleaning kit and methodology for percussion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
G'day,

Sorry I'm sure this has been covered but I couldn't find a thread for it.

With my inline I simply get some very hot soapy water and work the bore with with a brush until she's squeaky clean then run an oiled patch down at the end. I soak the breech plug, thenget into it with a nipple pivk and cotton buds til happy. Dry it out, lightly grease it and put it back together. Maybe not perfect but it's kept my girl in working order and rust free for years.

With a percussion I'm not sure how different the tasks and processes are for cleaning. Not having as ready access to both sides of the barrel and the whole percussion/nipple aspect have thrown me a bit.

Can anyone suggest a kit or any tools specifically for percussion and any methodology for looking after my mew hawken.

If there are threads existing that you can direct me to that is just as good.

Thank you,

Basically the same for a sidelock as what you're already doing. The main thing is ensuring the bore is absolutely dry when done.
I like to get the nipple out and soaking first thing. I use a patch/jag instead of a brush when scrubbing the bore with tepid water with a couple drops of dish soap ( I hardly ever shoot anything but PRB, I do hit the bore with a nylon brush if I shot conicals). After clean, change to plain water for a rinse. Dry patches, then your favorite water displacer poured through the flash channel (I use denatured alcohol), a blast of canned air through the nipple. Another dry patching, then one damp with denatured alcohol. Let it sit and clean the nipple. A smidge of anti-seize on the nipple threads and install. One more dry patch down the barrel. Run a patch of rust preventative down the bore (I use Barricade), then store it muzzle down. Check bore a couple days later to ensure all is good.

I run a patch of denatured alcohol and then a dry patch right before the next shooting session to strip the rust preventative back out. Not necessarily required if using Barricade, if loading it for hunting and leaving it loaded for a few days then I don't strip the Barricade out.

Do i need a specific tool to remove the nipple from a traditions hawken?

Depending on what you have on there now. Musket cap or number 11. Both tools are similar except that the musket cap nipple is a bit larger. Sorta looks like a T-handle.
Pretty inexpensive to buy. Or you can use a small open end wrench.

For an online. :.. Pull the breach plug ..... Remove barrel from wood. clean with soap and water... soak niipple and breach plug. scrub these. wipe all with light oil and assemble after drying. before loading I clean with lighter fluid.

Best I can find is $25 and 2 1/2 month shipping wait!
Wow, that's a long wait.
The nipple on one of my muzzleloaders doesn't seem to fit into my small nipple wrench very well so I use a small 11/32? I think open end wrench from a cheapie set I got at the local dollar store.
I know that a lot of TC's have that little flash cup surrounding the nipple so an open end wrench might be difficult to use. Needle nose pliers can work. The nipple doesn't have to be super tight when installing it. Just good and snug.

If you're using musket caps, a 1/4in drive socket will work wonders. It doesn't matter what size, get an allen wrench that fits, put the drive side down on the nipple and it will work. For the smaller nipples, you're going to pretty much need the designated wrench.

As for cleaning, I shoot only black powder in percussion muskets. I've found windex does a fantastic job of cleaning. I shoot some down the bore first and let it run out the nipple, then pull the nipple and thoroughly swab the bore with a couple wet patches, then switch to dry. Then oil the bore, nipple area and gun. Nipple gets washed in windex, cleaned, dried, and reinstalled with a dot of white lithium grease on the threads. Easy, clean up is done in minutes. No rust problems whatsoever.

Thanks fellas,

I actually have used windex in my inline before and never had an issue. The main part I'm unsure about is the whole area between the nipple and the barrel. Making sure I'm cleaning it well, and that it's dried well so as to not cause a misfire. Hate for that to happen lining up on a big old red!

Back