Cleaning new inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evolution84

Reaction score
Hey guys,

move always used soap and water to clean my Hawkins, but recently got an inline. I bought the CVA package of goods, but it is on back order

with the season coming up, I’d like to see what to use to clean until the good stuff is shipped. Is water and soap ok? Can I just use hoppes in the barrel? Recommended videos I could watch?

just don’t want to mess anything up as I’m not familiar with inline.
Shooting blackhorn if that makes a difference

thank yo

Hey guys,

move always used soap and water to clean my Hawkins, but recently got an inline. I bought the CVA package of goods, but it is on back order

with the season coming up, I’d like to see what to use to clean until the good stuff is shipped. Is water and soap ok? Can I just use hoppes in the barrel? Recommended videos I could watch?

just don’t want to mess anything up as I’m not familiar with inline.
Shooting blackhorn if that makes a difference

thank yo
Blackhorn is much easier all around and I like the results. That being said, I read a lot about the powder. What to do and not to do. It is pricey but I was looking for ease of cleaning, accuracy, ease of loading and powder shelf life. I got it all and then some! For cleaning I use Hoppes 9 and wet the patches. Run them down the barrel several times and let the barrel soak a bit while i put the breach plug into a parts soak. I like using a bore brush in the bore then patches until clean. Finally run patches with hoppes gun oil. Being anal i run patches again a couple of days later. During long periods where not using the gun, I will run patches through the barrel and re oil each month. Has worked for me for 30 years.

Back