Cleaning question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoinLV

Reaction score
I have a .504 Bison. I was wondering if you have any tips to better clean the foremost BP threads and throat area. I use PTFE tape on the BP and shoot Pyrodex P, so I'm fanatical about cleaning, but that area gives me trouble. Brass and nylon 20gg brushes and patches over a 50 cal brush don't seem to quite do it.
Thanks,
Bo

Works extremely well for me....

Bore-Thread-Brush.jpg

I use a 20 gauge shotgun bristle brush - turning counterclockwise to pull the debris out. I do spray a little bit of butches 2 n 1 bore shine on it to dissolve any carbon or tape residue from the threads.

Works extremely well for me....

Bore-Thread-Brush.jpg

I use a 20 gauge shotgun bristle brush - turning counterclockwise to pull the debris out. I do spray a little bit of butches 2 n 1 bore shine on it to dissolve any carbon or tape residue from the threads.
Thanks, I like it! How do you keep the brush attachment from unscrewing with CCW rotation?

That can happen when you first start using the CCW turn, but if you tighten the joints with pliers or such it does help a lot. The CCW turn brings every thing or most everything back to the breech without pushing a bunch out into the barrel...'

To tell the rest of the story....

My first step to cleaning the barrel threads is to use a an old TC breech bore brush or one I have fashioned onto a stick to reach in and remove the excess tape that still might be in the BP port. Also turning CCW - then I can easily pick put the excess Teflon from these brushes and keep the actual hard working bore brush fairly clean,

First-brush-tape-removal.jpg

Then after the breech is cleaned with similar devices - I will then use the drill/brush combo to really clean the threads and the BP stop in the barrel. Both will have clean bright surfaces.

I am a retired plumber and am not slamming anyones method, but, taping machine threads does nothing as the threads provide 0 sealing. Pipe threads are tapered and with ptfe paste or tape do seal to an extent though I don't believe they can handle 18-20k psi. Breechplugs are designed to seal at the nose or the shoulder. The threads sealing has been proven false years ago. As far as cleaning whatever works for you.

I am a retired plumber and am not slamming anyones method, but, taping machine threads does nothing as the threads provide 0 sealing. Pipe threads are tapered and with ptfe paste or tape do seal to an extent though I don't believe they can handle 18-20k psi. Breechplugs are designed to seal at the nose or the shoulder. The threads sealing has been proven false years ago. As far as cleaning whatever works for you.

I totally agree the threads will not provide a seal... the nose of the plug against the shelf in the barrel is where the seal must occur The tape serves as a good barrier against fouling seizing the plug in the barrel, for me it serves the purpose a lot better than breech plug grease.

I believe the method that you wrap the the plug also make a big difference. I choose to use the Blue Monster tape as it appears to be and has proven to me to be a stronger tape the regular white tape. The thing that I do that seems to provide that adequate seal is a double wrap of tape over the nose of the plug and them patted down on to the plug. Then if the shelf in the barrel and clean the tape will provide an effective barrier to a large amount of the blow back getting up the threads. The tape on the threads of the BP serve to help limit the amount fouling going up the threads and getting out of the breech even though the threads are not tapered.

It has served me well for many years and allows me to take many shot at a range session without worrying about plug seizure.

As mentioned there is a double wrap of tape around the nose and over the nose of the breech plug

2_Nose_Wrap.jpg

The wrap then continues down the BP to the bottom of the plug. After it is wrapped the tape is pressed into the threads by rolling it with the ratchet/socket while applying pressure with your fingers to the tape on the threads. Then install the plug into the rifle. Turn it in until it stops turning freely then snug it down enough to compress the double wrap of tape. Do not tightened it enough to tear the tape. This operation is not a perfect seal but it certainly works well for me.

3_Wrapped_-_Tapped.jpg

This picture shows what I have found after a range session with a Wolverine. Upon removal of the BP most of the tape stays in the threads of the BP pocket in the rifle. Many time I have been able to remove a large portion of the tape just by using a pair of forceps and pulling out the old used tape. Certainly not always - but not worrying about the plug seizing'

Page-2-shoot.jpg

While it shouldn't work - it really seems it does. I will continue to use the tape. It is really cheap insurance.

I need to add for this system to work it does take some trial and error to really make it work for you. Also should mention the BP threads in the breech of the rifle really have to be clean and free of debris. It really doesn't take much internal fouling to tear the tape job on the way in. After you have completed installation - use a light to look down the bore and insure that you see the blue tape showing all the way around the bottom of the bore.

Last edited:
Yessir, me too. Sometimes i use tape, sometimes grease. Not for sealing, just for keeping the plug from seizing. At the range i use tape. But hunting, the CVA breech plug grease is too easy and i dont have to give it a second thought.

That can happen when you first start using the CCW turn, but if you tighten the joints with pliers or such it does help a lot. The CCW turn brings every thing or most everything back to the breech without pushing a bunch out into the barrel...'

To tell the rest of the story....

My first step to cleaning the barrel threads is to use a an old TC breech bore brush or one I have fashioned onto a stick to reach in and remove the excess tape that still might be in the BP port. Also turning CCW - then I can easily pick put the excess Teflon from these brushes and keep the actual hard working bore brush fairly clean,

First-brush-tape-removal.jpg

Then after the breech is cleaned with similar devices - I will then use the drill/brush combo to really clean the threads and the BP stop in the barrel. Both will have clean bright surfaces.
Very nice advice. Many thanks SL

Latest posts

Back