Cleaning White muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve egan

Reaction score
Evening: Ready to hit the range and was wondering what is best to clean bore and breech area of my White muzzleloader after I am finished for the day at the range?

Thank You: Steve Egan

I use a citrus household cleaner with triple 7 powder. Soak the BP in same and wipe out the bore till clean. Wipe again with dry patch an use lucas oil for protection.
Clean off the BP use pipe cleaner in nipple, lube with Teflon lube , reinstall an finished if barrel is blackiced

I use just plain old windex and a toothbrush or old bronze bore brush on the threads of the breech plug. I have some 5/8" chiller tube cleaning brushes that do a good job on the female thread, you can get a plant mechanic to toss the used ones in a bucket for ya when he's punching tubes on a chiller. I spray that area with carb cleaner to melt the anti seize and get it out of there. Then a patch after it's all clean and dry with just some lightweight motor oil very lightly coated followed by one dry patch unless it's the end of the season, I don't follow the oil patch with a dry one. Lots of guys use teflon tape on the plug, I haven't tried it yet, although it seems it would be much easier to clean up. I'm just afraid of it getting locked up.

Evening: Ready to hit the range and was wondering what is best to clean bore and breech area of my White muzzleloader after I am finished for the day at the range?

Thank You: Steve Egan
Thank you for the information. Appreciate you and will try what you have suggested.

I use just plain old windex and a toothbrush or old bronze bore brush on the threads of the breech plug. I have some 5/8" chiller tube cleaning brushes that do a good job on the female thread, you can get a plant mechanic to toss the used ones in a bucket for ya when he's punching tubes on a chiller. I spray that area with carb cleaner to melt the anti seize and get it out of there. Then a patch after it's all clean and dry with just some lightweight motor oil very lightly coated followed by one dry patch unless it's the end of the season, I don't follow the oil patch with a dry one. Lots of guys use teflon tape on the plug, I haven't tried it yet, although it seems it would be much easier to clean up. I'm just afraid of it getting locked up.
Thank you for the information.

For long term storage, I disassemble completely, wash in Dawn dish washing liquid. I then rinse with super hot water, blow it out with air, and re lube the complete rifle. Whites have a lot of hiding places for powder residue. If you plan to shoot in the near future after your day at the range, any one of the above systems will work great.

For long term storage, I disassemble completely, wash in Dawn dish washing liquid. I then rinse with super hot water, blow it out with air, and re lube the complete rifle. Whites have a lot of hiding places for powder residue. If you plan to shoot in the near future after your day at the range, any one of the above systems will work great.
Thank you for your information. This is a GREAT forum as every time I have asked a question I have received a lot of useful information.

I use Awesome Orange (64 oz $1 at Dollar Store) and boiling water. Lubricate with Breakfree CLP oil. Both do a great job.

The only thing i use is amsoil MP spray , i mostly used triple seven and only takes 3 patches first two both sides i hear they make a gun cleaner spray now but havent tried it

I have twelve 16Oz. Bottles of original White cleaning solution
Taking up space in my garage
A guy was selling them on eBay
So I figured “What the Heck”

Latest posts

Back