Click clack

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Scored a superb Savage Model 6A yesterday.
For those unfamiliar, its a semi auto .22 that can also function as a manually operated repeater by pushing the charging handle in when the bolt is forward. In that condition, it will feed .22 shorts and longs.
They call them " click clacks" due to the way the bolt works. If you use proper trigger control, the bolt is held to the rear ,after a shot, until you release the trigger. It the goes forward and you're ready to fire again. It isn't an open bolt.
So when shooting, they go Bang clack Bang clack.
They're also called " gill guns" because of the slots in the receiver, which are designed to give fouling an exit.
Mine is a pre WW2 Ithaca NY production, with a nice, dark checkered walnut stock. It should have an aperture sight, which I'm looking for...
Can't wait to shoot her. Had a couple over the years, but never one this nice. They're accurate, reliable and a hoot to shoot. Get a lot of " What the???"at the range.

This one's an absolute keeper! CCI standard velocity long rifles are her preferred. So far.
My range only permits 3 rounds in the rifle. As such, I shoot 3 shot groups and 10 shots per target.
5 of 6 3 round groups were 3/8. Blew one to 7/16... The first 10 measured 5/8 and the second 11/16. This is open sights at 25 yards.
I have an aperture sight coming for her. I expect results to improve, at least in consistency of group size.
Old rifles can be quite the surprise!

I have one that Sears sold under the Ranger model and it is in fair condition and shoots well with Federal auto match. My dad gave me the one I have not sure where he got it.

Springfield 87 as well. I’ve repaired a good many of them.Bolt and feed issues mainly.
Reminds me of a Reising M50 the way it sounds.
My ears hear a “ Ka——-lunk” upon firing.

Ah yes! I have the Springfeld 87. It was my dad's and probably dates to +- 1950. Haven't shot it for over 40 years. I think I should take it for a walk for old times sake??

Latest posts

Back