Climber chains

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonfly

Reaction score
I bought an API Grand Slam Supreme climbing tree stand back in the 90's. This stand has performed well over the years but now the shrink wrap covering the chains is toast and there's some rust showing. I'd like to replace the chain and covering. Bass Pro wants over $60. and out of stock. The chain is stamped A2040. Has anyone replaced these chains?? Sources?

you can go to rural king or TSC and get AG chain(same as whats on stand) to replace it just show them the number you need, been doing it for years on my stands.. you can go to Ace and get the vinyl tubing to cover the chains just have to melt or use a drill to make the holes.. just get some tie wire and double it up tie it off to something immovable slide you tubing onto it then tie it to last link on chain.. put some vegetable oil on chain and pull tubing over chain. takes some strength to do but it lasts a long time, then you can take a bolt the size of your pin heat it red hot and push thru tubing to make your holes..
If I can find a piece of the tubing will check size but think it was 3/4 o.d x 5/8 i.d but not sure.. if you get chain you can take it to Ace and match it to tubing..Menards may have the tubing also.
The A in A2040 stands for agricultural.
Also after you get the tubing on chain on the end to go in stand leave a tiny bit of overhang and drill a hole thru and use a tiny zip tie to close ends makes it easier to insert in stand.. also you may have to remove the plastic inserts that go in ends of stand where chain inserts, it hurts nothing and chain will fit perfect with the bigger tubing. Will last along time, have had some on my stands for 4 yrs and still usable.

Last edited:
you can go to rural king or TSC and get AG chain(same as whats on stand) to replace it just show them the number you need, been doing it for years on my stands.. you can go to Ace and get the vinyl tubing to cover the chains just have to melt or use a drill to make the holes.. just get some tie wire and double it up tie it off to something immovable slide you tubing onto it then tie it to last link on chain.. put some vegetable oil on chain and pull tubing over chain. takes some strength to do but it lasts a long time, then you can take a bolt the size of your pin heat it red hot and push thru tubing to make your holes..
If I can find a piece of the tubing will check size but think it was 3/4 o.d x 5/8 i.d but not sure.. if you get chain you can take it to Ace and match it to tubing..Menards may have the tubing also.
The A in A2040 stands for agricultural.
Also after you get the tubing on chain on the end to go in stand leave a tiny bit of overhang and drill a hole thru and use a tiny zip tie to close ends makes it easier to insert in stand.. also you may have to remove the plastic inserts that go in ends of stand where chain inserts, it hurts nothing and chain will fit perfect with the bigger tubing. Will last along time, have had some on my stands for 4 yrs and still usable.

Did the same thing, it seems even quieter than the factory shrink tubing with inserts and it works great. Got the tubing at Farm and Fleet.

Back