Cloth patch instead of Sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meuler

Reaction score
I am wondering if you can use a cloth patch for round balls in place of a Sabot for Conical bullets in an in-line muzzleloader. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

For Roundball I use Pillow Ticking from a local Jo-Ann Fabric shop.

In the old days of the slug gun bench , they used both paper and cloth and some gunsmiths made cutters for cloth patches to fit a bullet

I am wondering if you can use a cloth patch for round balls in place of a Sabot for Conical bullets in an in-line muzzleloader. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Ive wondered the same. Using a patch on a .45 conical in my .50 Accura is something i am going to try at my next range trip if it feels like it loads ok.

Ive wondered the same. Using a patch on a .45 conical in my .50 Accura is something i am going to try at my next range trip if it feels like it loads ok.
Please let me know how this turns out. Seems like a logical solution to some states not allowing sabots during muzzleloader season

Paper Patching would be the better way to go in my opinion? I do a BUNCH of that stuff. If this interests you, You can find all kinds of info down in Sidelock Section, it is a “Sticky” there

Here are just a few bullets i do, i patch for 45, 50, and 54

VNoCBhzm.jpg

G06wboim.jpg

HhdCvexm.jpg

There was another variation on paper patching.
It involved laying 2 strips of paper, caliber wide, 90 degrees to one another over the muzzle and then seating the bullet. Seem to recall it was used with a false muzzle. I suspect it might work with a QLA too.

There was another variation on paper patching.
It involved laying 2 strips of paper, caliber wide, 90 degrees to one another over the muzzle and then seating the bullet. Seem to recall it was used with a false muzzle. I suspect it might work with a QLA too.

Correct, It is called Cross Patch, This guy is using Lube? I would not do that, I would Just load Dry. But this shows the process

H8vgnxdm.jpg

Here is a Method i have used to Tighten up a Cold Bore Load for hunting
RPMeRshl.jpg

odTb4ZQl.jpg

I use White bullet lobe on the bullets I make (464 grains) and pink Teflon tape. As of late I've been shooting sabots Harvester (green) and 44/240 grain XTP's.

Jerry

Latest posts

Back