CO draw deadline coming up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some of these mature western state point systems are now reaching a turning point. Many of us bought into the promise 15-30 years ago (we had to) that if we just played their game, we’d eventually be rewarded. Now we (and especially all the guys with fewer points) are seeing that we’ll never get what we had hoped for. Hunters are now really pressuring states to change the systems.

@Hatchet Jack, I’m with you! It’s incredibly frustrating to realize that with even slightly less than max you’ll probably never draw the top units in a preference system. Sad thing is if we had just put all the money we’ve spent on points into a savings account we could probably just go buy a landowner tag/guided hunt now.

I’ve been incredibly fortunate over the years in many of these states, so I really can’t complain, but the reality of it makes for tough decisions!

I pretty much hunt Colorado only and have adapted my ways of doing things gradually over the years. Actually, a few things are still workable and I manage to be able to have enjoyable if not always successful hunting every year.

For those who are in pursuit of a special hunt in a special unit with a good probability of a once in a lifetime trophy the situation is grim in Colorado. For those folks I will offer the reality that there are trophy bulls in every elk unit. Probably not as many statistically as in those highly sought-after ones but they are there. Some of those have leftover tags every year. If you want to build points AND hunt, make one of those your second choice 😉.

Many, many applicants are clueless about the how the draw works. For an idea on that, look at the stats I posted above at the lower left corner and count up the number of applicants that made that hunt code a second or third or even fourth choice. 🤔

For those of us that have already cashed in, and have 0 to very few points going in, keep in mind that they raised the price of a cow tag to the same price as a bull: $770. 😳
And, for the benefit of the non res folks. There's talk of going to 75/25 percent res/non res.

And, for the benefit of the non res folks. There's talk of going to 75/25 percent res/non res.
Yep, they have a complicated allocation system currently - they allocate 10% for sheep/goat/moose and 20-35% of the deer and elk to nonresidents. And for antelope they don’t set aside a percentage specifically for nonres.

There’s also talk of “point banking.”

The only constant is change.

https://coloradooutdoorsmag.com/2023/01/24/cpw-is-considering-changes-to-big-game-hunting-licenses/

Point banking is being able to apply for a tag and only use the points you need to draw. For example, you have 10 points and you apply for a tag that requires 3 points. You would draw the tag and still have 7 points left. Actually, I think they take one for that year too so maybe you only have 6 left, but the bottom line is if you apply for a low point tag and have a lot of points, your points don’t drop to Zero.

That just seems like a very bad idea!

Or they take the number of points that lower demand unit requires plus 2-3 points. The thought is that it will reduce pressure on the higher demand units and even out demand somewhat. So with 25 points you might be able to draw two of the typically 10-12 point hunts.

I think it could be a good idea. No telling what it would look like in real life.

The other thing to realize this year is that weather is pounding the herds in a lot of places - northwest CO, northern Utah and southern WY being a few examples. WY is drastically reducing tags (recommending tag cuts of 50-100% in many s central units). If CO cuts tag numbers at all that could have a big effect on draws!

If CO cuts tag numbers at all that could have a big effect on draws!

Yes, and the decision won't be made until May. That can nullify any calculations based on past results.

The winter kill is at its worst from now through April. Snow has been heavy and snowfall is typically at the heaviest in the spring. Then along comes a warm day followed by a freeze that makes movement and getting at food sources difficult when deer and elk are the most vulnerable at the end of winter.

Latest posts

Back