Cold Smoked Cheese

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz58

Reaction score
I never did any smoking with pellets before but saw this A-MAZE-N pellet smoker. After watching some videos on smoking cheese, I got one and tried it out. It seemed to work exceptionally well. Rather than use my big ol smoker, I tried doing this on the gas grill (not turned on as this is a cold smoke). Didnt realize how open the gill was till I started smoking and had to seal it up with foil the best I could. I figured this would work well just setting the cheese and the pellet smoker on the picnic table and putting a cardboard box over it but couldnt find a box big enough at the time. Anyway, smoked for four hours. Videos recommend vacuum packing for 4 weeks before eating to let the smoke infiltrate and distribute through the cheese as most the smoke is on the surface just after smoking and is too harsh to eat right away. I tried some and they are right about that. Got it all vacuum packed and now waiting 4 weeks to try again. That little pellet smoker amazed me. Couldn't believe the amount of smoke produced from so few pellets. The second picture shows how many pellets were burned after about 2 1/2 hours. IMG_5462.jpg IMG_5464.jpg

I did try the cheese at about 3 1/2 weeks. Not bad but still a little strong on the smoke flavor. I did smoke for a full 4 hours. I'm guessing that it will be much better after a couple more weeks. If I do this again, I might try only smoking for 3 hours.

I tossed the pellet smoke maker out. I use charcoal to smoke and chunk wood that does a far better job. Cheese can be tough to smoke too depending on the variety and the outside temperature. Too warm and the smoke can get bitter. With cheese, less smoking time is perhaps better as cheese takes the smoke fairly quick without showing much sign of it being smoked. I always wrap my smoked cheese in freezer wrap and keep it in the fridge a week before vacuum sealing to allow the smoke to mellow....vacuum sealing as soon as the cheese has cooled won't allow that.

Thanks. Had me curious as I love smoked cheese.:drool:

I love my pellet smoker and the whole set it and forget it aspect. In a busy life, it eases the time spent over a cook. Mine is all wifi enabled and I can control while at the grandkids ball games and still have the main course ready, after. Mine will hold a 40lb bag of pellets in the hopper and will cook for about 35hours on the 40lbs. Overnight smokes are a breeze and everything is perfect.

This is coming from a diehard stick smoker for years! My wife and kid bought this one for me for fathers day and I scoffed about it for months but glad I eventually gave in. She definitely done her homework and bought about the best pellet smoker available.

Mine has a cold smoke attachment that is great for cheese but have realized about 2.5-3 hours is all the smoke I like on cheese. 1F1C46C5-DE36-42D9-A352-182AE91423C4.jpeg1F1C46C5-DE36-42D9-A352-182AE91423C4.jpeg

I have a large home made smoker about the size of a refrigerator. Have a burner from a turkey fryer in the bottom so I can control the heat. and have a charcoal smoker beside it that I would burn wood chunks in and piped over to the smoker. Great System I have used for years! But I gotta say, after playing with the pellet tray, along with a tube that also holds pellets, I'm getting pretty fond of the pellets for smoking. Can easily buy pellets for cheap price, choose the type of wood i want, and not have to deal with the wood chunks. I recently smoked 120 lbs of summer sausage and another 120 lbs of sticks all with pellets. All turned out great! Lit the pellet tray at both ends along with the tube of pellets, set in the bottom of the smoker and had smoke billowing out of the smoker for about 4 hours at a time. Not sure i'm ever going to mess with the charcoal and wood chunks again.

Back