Colt 1851 Navy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
As in brand new and made by Colt. .44 cal Navy. Brass frame. As per any Colt made gun it is blued to perfection. The gun is spotless. I think a bit high at $700 but it is a real heart warmer. Trigger feels like maybe in the 4 pound range and no creep. I never should have walked into that darned shop. Now I want it.

There's a T/C single trigger .50 Renegade there with all sorts of goodies to go with it. There's a bit of bluing wear around the snail and one very tiny ding on the stock near the plate but otherwise a sweet little rifle at $250 - $300. I'm betting he'll deal on these.

Simply the wrong time to be buying for me. Too much going on. I'm stopping back to see if there's a chance we can work out a payment plan on that pistol. Damn that thing is pretty even if the body is brass. New, never been fire and I believe the literature in the box said it was made in 1987.

Those 2nd Gen Colt reproduction black powder revolvers were/are stunning. Far better than finished than any other black powder revolvers being sold in the United States from Italy, or Spain.

That Colt bluing is just stunning. Are you going to shoot it if you end up purchasing it?

On my short list of muzzleoading wish guns is a 2nd Gen Third Model Dragoon. If I ever manage to obtain one, I will have it modified & tuned by Goons Gun Works to be as reliable as possible. Then, shoot it every chance I get.

Second on that list is a 2nd Gen 1851 Colt Navy with the steel frame. The 1851 Navy handles as good as any revolver ever produced, antique, or modern. It was Wild Bill Hickok's pistol of choice.

http://www.goonsgunworks.com/services

Last edited:
If I can swing the purchase I do not plan on shooting it. The gun is sweet to just look at it and handle it. The rear sight is a hammer notch and without a top strap there's no way to mount an after-market sight so no, I'd just admire it.

If I can swing the purchase I do not plan on shooting it. The gun is sweet to just look at it and handle it. The rear sight is a hammer notch and without a top strap there's no way to mount an after-market sight so no, I'd just admire it.

These have been fired thousands and thousands of full powered rounds. Accurately.

I’m so used to open top sights that the standard post and square notch sights on a modern pistol appear huge to me.

The bottom revolver I’ve owned since 1962. For quite a few years it was my favorite carry pistol when not in serious social contact… it’s as accurate as all but a very few of the modern guns.

884305D6-30ED-46DC-A82F-FC7905DA8D64.jpegA8806F73-729C-48C7-A4FE-83C9CF2E9021.jpeg

Colt made pistols are really nice, but Colt didn't make brass framed guns and 51 Navys made by Colt are all 36 cal.

Back