Comparison of Hunting Apps??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything come across the forums regarding just how good the various hunting apps out there are based on real hunters' experiences, so I wanted to pose the question here. I personally use Huntstand and Huntwise. I have a great deal of experience with both apps and based on my experiences, Huntstand has been an all-around much better app. Various apps have a wide variety of features, based on the amount one wants to pay. Ranked in order, below are the primary reasons I use these apps:
1) Weather/wind direction
2) Property boundaries
3) Topography/3D imaging
4) Mapping tools/measurements/other features
5) Ease of use

I also compare the weather predictions and the "hunting predictions" with each other, and have found Huntstand to be much more reliable. What are all your experiences with these/any hunting apps?

I used to have something that was affiliated with Cabelas I think? Can’t remember the name. I’ve used OnX Hunt for a few years and like it but I don’t really know all the features. The property lines are the most important feature for me.

I used to have something that was affiliated with Cabelas I think? Can’t remember the name. I’ve used OnX Hunt for a few years and like it but I don’t really know all the features. The property lines are the most important feature for me.
Property lines, and owners of properties have been a big help for me in various ways.

I downloaded some kinda hunting app on my phone a few years ago.
I just couldn't figure out how to use it, so I deleted it.
I guess I'm too technically challenged for such things.
When I hunt a new area, I get a topo map. Along with a compass and my GPS, I'm more comfortable sorting things out.

I like onX better it has property lines and tracking on the sat photo and you can link your spots with buddys and message them if you have cell signal. Plus you can download your areas ahead of time if you lose cellullar signal. It has wind direction and temp while you have a cell signal.

I’ve used Hunt Stand and OnX.
IMO OnX is far better than HuntStand.
Graphics, map updates and offline maps have been VG. Accuracy is much better than HS too.
My so got me onto OnX. He told me to use a computer to make or adjust / modify your maps.

I use OnX and basemaps. Both have similar features but basemaps is cheaper and also has more map layers. My personal history was I had OnX then went to basemaps, then switched back to OnX but that was only because my hunting buddy only really uses OnX and anytime we would share waypoints it would be a pain in the ass to have to copy and paste the coordinates... So because of my buddies stubbornness to OnX, i switched back. I prefer basemaps though

Looks like I will check out OnX at some point. I do use Huntstand a great deal from my PC, instead of just the app. Much easier to navigate from the computer than the phone.

I have been using OnX hunt for several years. My buddy and I can share data. We use it to mark stand, blind and trailcam locations. It makes it easier to return to a location in the dark. We also mark crossings, scrapes, rubs and other things of interest.

One word of caution- be sure to verify the information from your “App” with information from the government… be that the tax assessor, state natural resources agency, etc.

I have personally found a few errors in what appears to be the most popular App being discussed here.

I contacted the publisher of the App, and explained the errors that I had discovered. Some of them have since been corrected, but not all of them... and that’s just in my local area.

I do think this particular App does a pretty good job, but it’s not failsafe. Covering the whole country is a job that I can’t begin to imagine.

If the Conservation Officer says you’re in the wrong, and you have a government publication that says you’re in the right… that’s a pretty powerful defense.

If the Conservation Officer says you’re in the wrong, and you whip out your phone to show them an App from a private vendor… it’s perhaps not quite as favorable for you.😳

I think these Apps can be a valuable tool… when used in conjunction with other resources!

I’m another OnX hunt app fan. I currently only pay for one State, SD but just downloaded an off line map in MI for an upcoming deer hunt. With this location I don’t need ownership information, it’s paper Co with State land mixed in, I mostly just want to see my blue gps position of where I am, big woods hunt.

I’m still doing some testing, thinking of changing my one state to MI over SD.

Back