Conical rookie shoots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
A few of the fellows here have given me some conical bullets to try. Yesterday I was able to shoot some that Michiganmuzzy had sent me. Slow start but good finish. Shooting at 97 yards.

Shooting a Wolf with 3-9 x 40 Konus scope.
Bullets 415 grain
2 spit patches and 1 dry patch between shots

Shot 1.
I dont shoot these often so I have to think about it a little. Never had any personal training. The fellows here are my source. I snap a cap and swab the barrel. Load 80 grains of loose(V) of T7 and had some cotton ball so about 1/4 of a cotton ball then a wad (.54 wad). The bullet starts with the thumb very nicely and I use the rod to give it a push down. Once I have it moving I make one continuous push until it seats on the wad. I put in a Winchester 209 primer on and shoot. Shot number one hits a piece of the tape Im using as a bullseye. I like its going to the same point of impact as my usual hunting load.

Shot 2.
Same sequence but as I'm finishing with the bullet I remember I didn't clean the barrel. :wall: I shoot it just to see and its way left. I noticed the folding bench , folding chair, and gun rest were not helping me.

Shot 3.
Same sequence but as I finish loading I remember I didn't include the wad. :wall::wall::wall: Im not worthy some days. Still dont like my bench, chair, or gun rest so I swap them out for better of everything. Time to start over.

Shot 4.
OK. Time to get serious. sdporter will regret making me bullets if I cant to better than this. This time I load it right. My rest , chair, table are all at the right height and comfortable. Let fly and I have a nice hole about 1 1/2 inches left of the first. OK Thats better.

Shot 5.
Load up. Remembered everything. Im comfy. Let fly. Cut the same hole. Now Im feeling good. Whenever I shoot cartridge guns if the same load is cutting the same hole you are getting warm.

Shot 6.
Load up. This time I load 90 grains. Remember everything except that Michiganmuzzy told me these would lead the barrel if I use more than 80 grains. Its loaded now so. Im comfy. Let fly. Cut the same hole as shots 4 and 5. I feel better now. sdporter will know I can at least do a little justice to his bullets.

This is typical of this rifle. If it likes a bullet you can vary the powder by quit a bit and have no problem with groups to the same point of impact. Thank you Michiganmuzzy.

Attachments

• michiganmuzzy 002.JPG
    michiganmuzzy 002.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 21
  • michiganmuzzy1 001.JPG
    michiganmuzzy1 001.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 21
Reasonable. Yeah, these guys got me all jazzed up to try something different. Up to know Ive been shooting 100 grains of T7 with 305 saboted bullet. It was a wonderful deer killer, cheap, accurate. But as Michiganmuzzy taught me "perfection can be boring". So Im going to try to settle on a load of 80-85 grains and recoil is about the same.

Just you wait til the casting bug gets ya. It's almost as bad as ML shooting. N95 mask and washing your hands won't protect you from these infections.
Ain’t that the truth!! My accounts are wiped out, and I’m in my shop screwing around with bullet molds instead of working....and I still have 15 years till I can be retarded. Time flies, but I have a feeling the next 15 are gonna drag....

Ain’t that the truth!! My accounts are wiped out, and I’m in my shop screwing around with bullet molds instead of working....and I still have 15 years till I can be retarded. Time flies, but I have a feeling the next 15 are gonna drag....
you can for sure make a good side hustle with that machine of yours.

you can for sure make a good side hustle with that machine of yours.
That’s what I’m hoping for during retirement, get to play in the shop and make a couple hundred bucks here and there. I love people, but it beats being a WalMart greeter, hands down....

yeah I think making bullets would be fun. But if I did I think I would be interested in long range shooting. Maybe get a 45 caliber and go to paper patching. Did I just say that. Really I need to spend more time trout fishing. I even fish when the ice floats by.

Ill be groundhog hunting soon. I have seen a few.

Ive got a Benjamin Discovery .22 with custom trigger thats very accurate(15.89 JSB also) just don't shoot it much, like my springers better.

I bought a Benjamin Prowler about 5 weeks ago. In the .177 version. My crony says 885 fps with Crosman HP 7.9 grains. It keeps quarter size groups at 20 yards. Lots of squirrels paying the price for my boredom but season is over so Ill have to shoot paper. Its very quiet and that's nice. Im new to these guns and very surprised at the power. Line up 2 tin cans and it will go through 3 sides. Not pop cans either but real soup cans and such. Black and grey squirrels die on contact. Reds get a few feet before giving it up.

I just added the adjustable trigger stops, a power adjuster, second barrel band, and a picatinny rail for a red night light and laser, and the scope from my crossbow, Waiting on the upgraded magnum valve kit and HD screw kit so I can run it at 4k psi. Shooting JSB 14.3 pellets. I may start casting for this gun if I can find the right molds. :snipe:

Latest posts

Back