Consistent flinch

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was younger and dumber, I was shooting 150 gr. of 777 behind a 400 gr. bullet in a 7.5 lb rifle. I found it best just to shoot a few rounds at a time. I shot at a cow elk, and shut my eyes and jerked the trigger. I switched to a lighter load with better results on game.

Another thing that helps is to have the rifle rest high enough that you are sitting up straight. Once I did that, and wasn't leaning into the bench, life got much better. I also wear a shooting pad at the range.

I was taken aback by reading the comments about muzzle loader recoil. I guess I've never encountered it while shooting any of mine over the years. Personally I don't think they have any kick to them at all. You want to try something that kicks gets you a Thompson center on an Ecore frame and stick the 12 gauge Slug barrel on it and shoot some 3". And I would suggest that you don't use A-scope when you're just out there shooting it or if you do keep your face a long ways away from it. That's the worst gun I've ever shot in my life as far as recoil and I've shot up to 416 Rigby's 375HH. Needless to say that 12 gauge Encore barrel didn't last around my house very long.

When I was young I sighted in a pair of 375 h&h mark x mousers for an old man started it on the bench that didn't last too long,, matter of fact it wasn't long and I took those guns back to him sighted in yes but I sure don't didn't want to spend any more time with them

I didn't know what I was doing when I started shooting at age 32. Target practice with a .30-06, no recoil pad and no hearing aids. Bad move. Bad flinch.

Run through 500 rounds with a .22. Now pick up the pace. I started with a .22 Hornet. Then I started shooting under powdered .30-06, like 18 grains. When I had mastered that with no flinch, I started slowly pumping the powder up.

I advise:

Control noise: wear ear plugs. Control the smack: wear recoil pad.
Now try shooting 5 shots with 10 grains of powder. Then bump it up in 5 grain increments. And take a couple of days between sessions. Build your confidence. You will find a that there is a threshold; powder weight below that doesn't hurt and above that does. Shoot about 50 rounds at max pain free load.

Now ask your doc for 10 mg of propranolol; be honest and tell him/her what it's for. They'll chuckle and ask how many you want (ask for as many days as you want to shoot in the coming year). Take one or two before you shoot. Then bump the load to just past the painful point.

Flinch broken.

DO NOT USE PROPRANOLOL IN COMPETITIVE SHOOTING! It gives an unfair advantage. Against deer? It's the cure for buck fever.

When I'm target shooting and with most of my muzzleloaders I'm really trying to put bullets in the same hole,, if my muzzleloaders shot inch and a half and 2 in I would go back to centerfire rifles,, what has locked me down ,,addicted me to muzzle loading is being able to shoot groups that border on looking like 100,200, and 300 yard bench rest groups shot with a ppc or 6br etc just bigger holes!! Especially with the 45 cal fast twist rifles, muzzleloading rifles in themselves whether traditional or modern would have never brought me to the sport,, for me personally it is the accuracy potential and that alone.,, Only accurate rifles,,,, now given that approach recoil management for me is critical,, I have all the recoil management skill in the world just to hit the target putting them in the same hole you have to step up the ladder. I would love to watch men that can shoot heavy recoil with no brake and put bullets in the same hole on a consistent basis hope I get to see some of you one day. Again I'm not afraid of recoil at the same time I'm honest enough to know I am affected by it.

Latest posts

Back