Constant misfires

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjcox

Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloading and bought my first inline last month a CVA Optima V2. I have shot it a couple times now and both times I have gotten many misfires. This last time I tried a couple caps after the initial misfire and decided to punch the load out as it would not fire.
I am using the following: Hornady Great Plains conicals, pyrodex rs powder, rws 1081 musket caps.
The caps are firing each time. Here is my procedure, I am sure I am doing something that is causing it.
After each shot I swab with a patch that is lightly coated in 25%ballistol/75%water then 2 dry patches. Fire one cap, then load 90gr powder and conical. After every 3rd shot I pull the breech plug and give it a good cleaning to include nipple and flash hole on face. It seems that I get the misfires on the second or third shots prior to cleaning breech plug and I was thinking that possibly moisture from the first patch was gunking up the flash hole but wouldn't the firing of a cap clear and dry it?? I am at a loss and very frustrated as I can't make it more than 5 shots without a misfire. Thanks for your help and advice.

17 looks at your new thread and nobody has helped you yet......

You should not have to pull the breechplug, even after 10-15 shots.
Change your nipple and do a Google search on "hot nipples". If powder is from last year and beyond, change your powder also. It may be contaminated with moisture. Change your cleaning solution at the range to 70% rubbing alcohol and use an empty small spray bottle that we often see in sample racks of supermarkets, for a nice small, wide spray pattern on your patches.

I am not totally familiar with that CVA plug and musket cap. I do recommend #1075 RWS Dynamit Nobel thou, with a hot Spitfire or Red Hot nipple. You need a small safety pin to keep the flash-hole of that nipple clear. You should be able to do that with the breechplug still inserted. Just unwind the safety pin and make it as straight as possible. Then do another Google search on alternative ways to keep that breechplug and nipple clear. Hardware store products are available for that.

Personally, I've used the same safety pin in my range tackle box for quite a few years now. A long enough, still small safety pin will reach the flash-hole of your breechplug too. I've never had a muzzleloader that contained both a nipple and breechplug. But I do know both flash-hole ends have to remain clear from fouling, or hangfires and/or misfires will occur. They can also occur if flash-holes are clear and your powder is contaminated.

I would completely clean the gun and breechplug and nipple. Clean and dry.

Next I would change the swabbing routine, see if that helps. My gut says that is your issue. A lightly damp spit patch will work, or lightly damp alcohol patch. Some folks like windex. All you are really doing is knocking down the bulk of the fouling...not really "cleaning it" between shots. When I shoot my #11 guns (w pyrodex), I swab between shots but fire no cap after. Just load again and shoot.

I don't see why you would need to remove the breechplug to clean until you are done shooting. #11 or musket caps and pyrodex shouldn't clog it up. I've shot close to 50 consecutive shots with that setup in my Knights without any issues. I don't remove and clean the BP until I'm done. I actually haven't had to clean my nipple either, no issues with it plugging.

The powder is most likely fine, assuming it was kept sealed in a climate controlled environment. I've shot 10yr old pyrodex that fires perfectly when stored properly. Old Pellets are where the issue arises. They don't store well and can be very inconsistent. The caps are a personal preference. I prefer #11 over the musket, but muskets work fine. RWS are the best, imo. I doubt that is your issue.

I don't own that rifle, so I am just speaking from general knowledge of using caps and pyrodex in inlines (mostly knights) with no issues at all. I assume the non-209 breechplug should have a good sized channel that won't get clogged like a 209 BP does.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I will try some of the suggestions. I understand not cleaning the breech plug till your finished but since I have been wouldn't that just make it just that much less likely to misfire?

Yes, as posted, you need everything clear,clean, and dry. After that reasonably fresh powder with appropriate 'caps'.

When I used a side-lock I would often put a few grains of powder under the nipple when going hunting, not that it was essential. I did use a small pick to ensure the nipple was clear.

Make sure any 'swabbing' or bullet lube doesn't contaminate the ignition process.

cjcox said:
Thanks for the replies and advice. I will try some of the suggestions. I understand not cleaning the breech plug till your finished but since I have been wouldn't that just make it just that much less likely to misfire?

I would think it can't really hurt, but there shouldn't really be much buildup at all from just a couple shots. Certainly not something that would cause a misfire. To me, its an un-needed step.
When you pour the powder in, it should fall into the BP channel, and when fired its all gone - only some soot left really. Make sure when you pour the powder into the barrel that you pour it evenly, not just a big fast dump in. I doubt that is what you are doing, but figured I'd mention it. Even if you did dump it fast, it should still fill the plug channel I would think. If the nipple and BP are clear and dry, it should fire. Keep us posted.

I assume you are in a state where you can't use 209's? You don't hear many folks with that rifle using caps.

[/quote]I would think it can't really hurt, but there shouldn't really be much buildup at all from just a couple shots. Certainly not something that would cause a misfire. To me, its an un-needed step.
When you pour the powder in, it should fall into the BP channel, and when fired its all gone - only some soot left really. Make sure when you pour the powder into the barrel that you pour it evenly, not just a big fast dump in. I doubt that is what you are doing, but figured I'd mention it. Even if you did dump it fast, it should still fill the plug channel I would think. If the nipple and BP are clear and dry, it should fire. Keep us posted.

I assume you are in a state where you can't use 209's? You don't hear many folks with that rifle using caps.[/quote]

Correct I'm in Idaho so no 209's for me. CVA states that the recommended primer for thier rifles are rws musket caps that's why I am using them.
Do you all fire a cap prior to loading or is that also a wasted step?

Yep in Idaho so no 209's for me.
Is firing a cap prior to loading also a wasted step then? Should I just be focusing on running a wire through the breech plug after swabbing to ensure everything is clear?

Fire three caps, prior to loading your very first shot. If you leave the breechplug-in afterwards, keep both the breechplug face and the opposite side flash-hole clear during the entire range visit. Should not need any drill bits or nipple picks for several shots at-least. There's no need to fire a cap after each of these hole-end cleanings, or after each barrel swab, which is supposed to be light on the liquid, followed by 1-2 dry patches, using both sides of those dry patches.

I never store my ML with the breechplug-in. So there's no chance any storage oil I use down that barrel contaminates my breechplug. I still fire two primers when arriving at the range thou.
You can't teach an old dog like me new tricks, I guess. :mrgreen:

Can you remove the musket cap nipple from the breech plug? Have you done this if removable? I once found a piece of steel in the flash channel of a brand new breech plug, possibly something is blocking yours.

Email CVA using their help center, they are usually quick to respond, they may send you a new breech plug which may cure your problem.

MJFlores said:
not trying to hijack the thread but...your signature...are you saying you'd vote for Hillary?

Not going to hi-jack this thread with a political discussion. It's only a candidate referral signature. Want to talk Hillary & Bill?....... PM me.

I had the same problem. Don't put any moisture in your barrel that can make it to the flash hole. Nipple pick the flash hole frequently between shots. And I use a fine emery cloth to de-gunk the nipple where the musket cap seats. That has solved my problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have basically the same rifle. I have the Optima Magnum instead of the V2. Difference being the location of the release lever to open the barrel.

Since I don't like to guess its this or that, let me start from the begining.

Before loading for the range or the hunt ... Swab the barrel with alcohol. This is to pull any oil, dirt, dust, or crud that might be in the barrel. After the alcohol swab, a dry patch or two. Now put a musket cap in your case on the nipple. Push a dry patch down, to the bottom of the bore on a cleaning jag and fire off the musket cap. Pull the patch. It should show massive burn marks. This means, your fire channel is clean and the flame is making it into the ignition chamber of the rifle. When I see this I like to shoot one more 209, musket, #11 what ever. But throw a patch on the floor. Put the end of the muzzle next to it. Fire that musket cap and you should see that dry patch wiggle, move, even jump. You're now ready to load.

Making sure your powder is good, and that its dry, no clumps, pour your pre measured amount and seat your projectile. With the rifle capped, you're ready to fire. So lets say you fired it off. And now its time to swab the bore. With a clean patch, LIGHTLY apply windex, alcohol, spit, what ever. Nothing with oil in it or bore butter on the patch. You want to pull fouling not pack it. And work the bore muzzle down in three inch swabs, back and fourth, until you get to the bottom of the breech. Work your way up the bore the same way with this damp patch. Now do the same with a dry patch or even two. You should be ready to load and fire again, without any problems.

If you have misfires at this point, check your powder, would be my first guess. You said the musket caps are going off, so I doubt its them. If you have not over wet the original swabbing patch that rifle should fire. Another thing is ... some musket caps leave a paper trail in the nipple. So (I use an old guitar string) pick the nipple. Make sure that the pick goes through the nipple, into the breech plug. If you push that through, it should fire.

If you do have a misfire, and you have good powder, your picking the nipple, etc.. get a new breech plug and a new nipple. Sometimes there are flaws in the nipples. When its clean hold it up to the light and look through it. Can you see a lamp or sun in the window? Is there any imperfections in the fire channel of that nipple? Like I said. I have the same rifle. I have fired countless times in a day with no problems. So maybe this will help. Good luck. And let us know what you find out.

Great advice everyone I really appreciate it. Going to head to the range this weekend and will report back afterward. Thanks.

These are mild musket caps?
http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/produ ... on-cap-100
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/articles ... al-rifles/

http://www.cva.com/NorthWest_Manual_Insert.pdf
musket-cap-for-cva-nw-legal.jpg

Kinda looks like he has the right musket caps to me?

There was a change in the RWS 1081 musket caps. The new ones are very weak.

Got me a Pedersoli Sharps infantry rifle, and took it to the range yesterday. It won't fire unless I prime the nipple. I use RWS 1081 musket caps, and they are so weak, that they can hartley be heard for the noise the hammer makes.

Back to subject: Bought a box of RWS1218 (six winged) which improved ignition a lot

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php?topic=2131.0

Back to Powder, Inc.

RWS Four Wing Musket Caps, # 1081

Designed especially for reenactment. Popular RWS Four Wing Musket Caps—Optimized charge for replica muskets

I have used RWS musket caps many moons ago. I saw ZERO difference in igniting pyrodex than the RWS #11 caps, so for the past 20yr+ I've used #11's.

If in fact the new ones are much weaker and that turns out to be the issue, its a simple one to fix. :yeah:

Update:
Finally got to the range again yesterday and decided to swab with 91% alcohol between shots. Made sure the patch was just barely damp and followed with a dry patch on both sides. Groups were good considering the 20 mph winds and not one misfire. Thanks again for all the advice and if anyone has pros or cons of using just straight 91% alcohol please let me know. Thanks.

Back