Conversion To Smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can a Remington 700ML be converted to smokeless ? If so are there any recommended qualified gunsmiths that do this ? Another question . Are there any good 45 caliber Smokeless muzzleloader out there available for sale or one that can be converted ? Preferably in-line 209 primer capable .

McGowen will still make a 45cal barrel for Savage MLII but not sure about the Rem700ML. Vendors offering those barrels moved on to the Rem700UML and/or just Rem700 SA single shot actions mostly. Im not positiive but the Rem700 and 700ML barrel tenons are not the same length. So you cant just interchange them. Machine work would be required and/or you have to start with a blank that is contoured only from scratch.

IIRC one of the guys on Hanks board still converts 700MLs with a 209. The vast majority of the rest are Rem700s and LRMP.

I looked into it this summer. Expensive!! Way cheaper to buy a used Remington or Savage and buy a pre fit barrel from hankins. Sell your 700ml and sell the barrel off what ever CF gun you buy . I have 2 Scout conversion and love them. Bolt gun is next .

Im interested in this as well. I have a 700ML that I am thinking I may just have a breech plug and bolt head upgrade done on and use it with black powder - maybe white hots or Triple 7 - I think for the smokeless I might spring for a Savage 7mm-08 Model 11 from a local pawn shop and put the barrel on my Striker and use the action to build a 40 Caliber smokeless - haven't decided who I would want to go with for the build yet - I know Hankins does 40 caliber builds but also considering Ashland Gun Works as Charlie is semi local though it seems like most of his stuff is 45 caliber. Any suggestions?

Might wanna research that builder....That name rings a bell and not in a good way. I might have him mixed up with another guy.

you're probably thinking about an incident where he was not paying attention and double loaded a smokeless when test firing - yep - but he is in a new building now with a partner that I have utmost confidence in and know a few people that have his products - they all love them - biggest gripe from them is don't even think of rushing him -

No, this was about horrible reviews of his work/service/ect. Like i said though i may have him confused with another builder.

like I said all I have heard is the double load while talking to someone and trying to do a test fire and the fact that if you try to rush him in any way it seems like he goes into a slower gear - thats all I have heard negative about him. I know lots of people that have used him for shotgun work and such and some that have smokeless rifles that he built. Im planning on stopping by and talking to him one day when my work load isnt so heavy - see what kind of vibe I get from him.

If you have a TC Encore frame you may want to consider purchasing a smokeless Encore barrel from Arrowhead Rifles or Hankin's Rifles.
I did. I got a Brux barrel for my Encore and couldn't be happier. Mine is a 209 ignition. Never had a problem. Knock on wood.

McGowen still makes barrels for the old Remington 700 ML. Not sure whose breechplug they use. Mine are all Savage. Not sure if they do ASG.

Are you aware of the advantages of shooting Blackhorn209 in the factory barrel with our 209 conversion kit? To me, its way more bang for the buck. Almost the same performance with a lot less money and trouble.

If I was to go down the smokeless muzzle loader road, I'd either get a Savage 10ML2 or start a custom build with a centerfire action. Much stronger and better suited.

Are you aware of the advantages of shooting Blackhorn209 in the factory barrel with our 209 conversion kit? To me, its way more bang for the buck. Almost the same performance with a lot less money and trouble.

If I was to go down the smokeless muzzle loader road, I'd either get a Savage 10ML2 or start a custom build with a centerfire action. Much stronger and better suited.

looking at the barrel it looks to be decent - when it fires correctly it is pretty darn accurate - it would be a good 200 yard rifle all day long. The issue ever since I picked it up has been misfires - with white hots, Triple 7 loose powder and BH209 - I was looking at the conversion kit you have - looks promising - tell me more - I am guessing I could send the rifle to you and have the kit installed?

Thanks,
James

Performance is not even close to "almost" at least not when we are talking about adding a 45cal fast twist barrel. Its not even in the same ballpark. A 45cal SML based on a 700ML conversion can easily exceed 2600fps with a 275gr bullet. Thats not even a hot load. Top end loads are over 2800fps with powders that cost far less per shot than BH209. A 200gr in a sabot at over 2700fps is a cakewalk for a SML. Good luck getting anywhere near that with BH209.

How about a rear sealing plug....Nope not with the OEM barrel. Gunna need custom work for that. 1-20 twist....Nope the OEM is a 1-28.

Plus with the full conversion you can still shoot BH209 anytime you want and use more of it. The conversion barrels are normally a heavier contour. The exact same blanks are used for rounds like 458Win Mag, 458Lott, 45-70 ect ect. You know you are getting a CF grade barrel.

Can a Remington 700ML be converted to smokeless ? If so are there any recommended qualified gunsmiths that do this ? Another question . Are there any good 45 caliber Smokeless muzzleloader out there available for sale or one that can be converted ? Preferably in-line 209 primer capable .

I built the rifle at the end of this video on the Remington 700ML action. I have a customer who says he wants it, but I have parts on hand to build another one.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Joe Teeter
Teeter's Gunsmithing
Gold Hill, NC

Smokeless Muzzleloader: 275 grain Parker BE at 3,000 fps Effect on Deer - YouTube

Back