Converted CVA 777 style plug to Lehigh 209 type plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourbore

Reaction score
I cannot do a video and I dont belive a step by step is needed either. I purchased a Lehigh plug and spare inserts and the allen and pin gage. Picture 1. The gage is used to determine when a plug is worn out. When that happens with the Lehigh system you simply replace the insert. My plan is to remove the insert every cleaning. That is the plan. We will see how that goes.

It was pointed in an otherwise very helpful post where the individual used a block of wood for clamping. I dont know why. The plugs are easily held in a vise. As show in 2nd pic. The scrap metal is soft. The drill size is matched up to the Lehigh. I forget already, W or X. The depth is set with the stop on the drill press, again with Lehigh still in the vise. Then swap out plugs and drill. The threads are 10-32 (god I hope I remember right). Look up the drill on your chart. Again, set the depth with the Lehigh. Drill. Tap. I needed a std and bottom tap.

The angle on the drill tip, looked close enough to the head of the insert for government work. That was a gamble.

I have a long list of things to try. It maybe soon or very long before I shoot with these plugs. I though it would be nice to post after realizing this post probably took longer than the conversion work. I am now not sure which plug is which in Picture 2 & 3. I think the Lehigh is on the right.

Attachments

• LeHigh_Plug.jpg
    LeHigh_Plug.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 15
  • Modified_CVA_plug (3).JPG
    Modified_CVA_plug (3).JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Modified_CVA_plug (1).JPG
    Modified_CVA_plug (1).JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Modified_CVA_plug (2).JPG
    Modified_CVA_plug (2).JPG
    100 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks for the info on converting a CVA QRBP BH209 breech plug to one with removable vent liners.

The plug in my used Optima V2 pistol that I took in trade from Mt. Monkey is one such. He said that it leaks, so I don't know if I will spend the time to convert it. I purchased the Lehigh Defense QRBP BH209 breech plug to replace it.

Is that a 0.036" diameter pin gage?

Thanks for the info on converting a CVA QRBP BH209 breech plug to one with removable vent liners.

The plug in my used Optima V2 pistol that I took in trade from Mt. Monkey is one such. He said that it leaks, so I don't know if I will spend the time to convert it. I purchased the Lehigh Defense QRBP BH209 breech plug to replace it.

Is that a 0.036" diameter pin gage?

Yes, 0.036. I am sure numbered drills could be used butt end first. I felt extravagant.

One correction, I did NOT convert a CVA 209 plug. I converted a CVA 777 plug. That is the plug shipped with the Optima. It will not be reliable for 209, it is for 777 pellets or black powder.

I am not even going to think about messing with the CVA 209 plug unless it is worn out.

Attachments

• LeHigh_PlugandLiner.jpg
    LeHigh_PlugandLiner.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back