Converting a Lyman flintlock to a Chamber's Siler lock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck Bob

Reaction score
I'm looking to research putting a Chambers Siler flintlock on a Deerstalker. Has anyone done this or researched it? I have my heart set on a Chambers LH Siler lock if it fits.

The gun is a LH 54 flintlock but handedness doesn't matter for comparison. I tried Chambers but he had no experience with the conversion. He did recommend getting the Track catalogue and comparing their full scale drawings. Track has no catalogues in stock.

I'm hoping someone has two guns to compare lock plate, sear arm location, and the bolster thickness.

Have you considered calling Pecatonica River to see what they would charge to inlet your barrel into a piece of wood with a trade gun profile? They can inlet for a wide variety of locks, including a Siler.

Yes I have considered it but currency exchange, horrible shipping costs and taxes are too much for this Canadian. If I was American I would order a Pecatonica or Chambers kit and forget this idea. I'm green with envy for your second amendment!

My Lyman is a particularly nice older model that could use a nicer lock.

Edit: further research suggests it won't work. The pan, sear bar, and rectangular lock plate can be rigged it looks like. The Lyman lock bolt won't work due to lock interference. Time to become a Lyman lock mechanic.

Last edited:
Yes I have considered it but currency exchange, horrible shipping costs and taxes are too much for this Canadian. If I was American I would order a Pecatonica or Chambers kit and forget this idea. I'm green with envy for your second amendment!

My Lyman is a particularly nice older model that could use a nicer lock.

Edit: further research suggests it won't work. The pan, sear bar, and rectangular lock plate can be rigged it looks like. The Lyman lock bolt won't work due to lock interference. Time to become a Lyman lock mechanic.

Good morning. A little research showed, when I first got my Lyman, that a good lock cost as much as my entire rifle, so little fine tuning was in order. The thing I discovered that made the flint work the best was to put them in bevel upside down. This was hard to do with some flints, so I made a little steel plate, with a hole drilled and it to hold it in place, that I can place underneath of a napped flint that would raise the sharpened edge to strike higher up on the frizzen and that seemed to fix most of my problems. Also, I tried lightning the frizzen spring and it didn't seem to make much difference, I could get adequate sparks without a spring, but without something to hold it shut it made it difficult to prime and shoot. True, I don't get as many shots without chipping the edge, but flints don't cost that much, and there's no guarantee how many I would get on the new lock. Mine happens to be left-handed too so is not easy to find a lock that will fit.
Squint

L&R got back to me. They now produce a RPL 05LH for Lyman lefties. They quoted $185 + SH. That would be $300 CAD landed here, tax in, to Canada.

Latest posts

Back