Copper ML with Synthetic stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I obviously know nothing about coopers so I'm sure this is a stupid question but what makes them so special? That's a chunk of change for a smoke pole

I don't remember all the specs that were reported but it is a custom or semi custom. They will shoot BH209 and have no blowback as I recall. Your right they are costly and those seem to be more that I remember the MSRP was going to be but I think both have some upgrades and they may be why. As far as I know there is only one member here that bought one but have not seen him post in a while. They sure are Purdy. Not sure I could ever take that wood stocked rifle to the woods, the other one yes.

Didn't they originally post that they were going to be 1200-1500 bucks, that is a chunk of change for a inline muzzleloader..

ShawnT said:
I don't remember all the specs that were reported but it is a custom or semi custom. They will shoot BH209 and have no blowback as I recall. Your right they are costly and those seem to be more that I remember the MSRP was going to be but I think both have some upgrades and they may be why. As far as I know there is only one member here that bought one but have not seen him post in a while. They sure are Purdy. Not sure I could ever take that wood stocked rifle to the woods, the other one yes.

I was just doing some searching and found one of the original Threads. They did say there would be a Synthetic stock version. Guess I fell asleep on that part. This was the first I saw one posted anywhere. The original MSRP was $1595 I think. They do have options. That wood stocked one had a metal grip cap and I know that is an upgrade. The other has Fluting so maybe that is an upgrade too. I don't have one, and since I got the Knight Ultra Lite I probably will not. Just though others might like to see one.

Here is the one Long thread where the guy from cooper was answering and asking questions. 8 or so pages.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26528&hilit=cooper

I have interest in it. I would only by synthetic stock version, cause if I buy it I'm gonna use it. But I would compare the advantages and disadvantages to a NULA before buying it.

Grouse said:
I have interest in it. I would only by synthetic stock version, cause if I buy it I'm gonna use it. But I would compare the advantages and disadvantages to a NULA before buying it.
I can see that. I always wanted an NULA but never could swing it. I only saw one for sale (Big 6X6) and missed it by a small amount of time. GM got it! Now that I got the Knight Ultra Lite, not sure I will ever get one. The NULA has the lighter weight as one plus.

ShawnT said:
Grouse said:
I can see that. I always wanted an NULA but never could swing it. I only saw one for sale (Big 6X6) and missed it by a small amount of time. GM got it! Now that I got the Knight Ultra Lite, not sure I will ever get one. The NULA has the lighter weight as one plus.

To be honest,the Knight Ultralite was designed around the NULA. Benefits of the Knight are stainless barrel, and a ramrod that stays in the gun. Lol, the NULA rod design is terrible. Knight just dropped the ball on the breech plug but oh well.

Grouse said:
ShawnT said:
Grouse said:

To be honest,the Knight Ultralite was designed around the NULA. Benefits of the Knight are stainless barrel, and a ramrod that stays in the gun. Lol, the NULA rod design is terrible. Knight just dropped the ball on the breech plug but oh well.

Grouse,

Do you know if Melvin or anyone sells the barrel mounted thimble he uses? I know his is plastic and some don't like it, but I am looking for something like that for a project I have.

ShawnT said:
Grouse said:
ShawnT said:

Grouse,

Do you know if Melvin or anyone sells the barrel mounted thimble he uses? I know his is plastic and some don't like it, but I am looking for something like that for a project I have.

I honestly don't, but I have a thimble off a Knight or a savage I don't need if you want it. I would need to dig around but I'm sure I would find it. Pretty sure it's stainless to.

Grouse said:
ShawnT said:
Grouse said:

Grouse,

I honestly don't, but I have a thimble off a Knight or a savage I don't need if you want it. I would need to dig around but I'm sure I would find it. Pretty sure it's stainless to.

Thanks for the offer but I was hoping to not drill and tap the barrel on this one. This barrel is not stainless and I have not decided on the actual type of finish but thinking Matte black. I know the one Melvin used was sort of slipped onto the barrel and glued in place. This barrel is a small diameter so sort of thought it might be closer to the one he used.

ShawnT said:
Grouse said:
ShawnT said:
Grouse,

Thanks for the offer but I was hoping to not drill and tap the barrel on this one. This barrel is not stainless and I have not decided on the actual type of finish but thinking Matte black. I know the one Melvin used was sort of slipped onto the barrel and glued in place. This barrel is a small diameter so sort of thought it might be closer to the one he used.

Yes, the thimble is fine but the rod won't stay in the gun. Everyone I know that has one has the same problem. I'll fix it someday!!

What size is barrel o.d. at thimble location???

Cooper rifle is dandy but for that money you sure can build a super nice700 custom Muzzleloader that can handle much more and use a simple209 with no leak or breech plug issues

bestill said:
What size is barrel o.d. at thimble location???

Cooper rifle is dandy but for that money you sure can build a super nice700 custom Muzzleloader that can handle much more and use a simple209 with no leak or breech plug issues

Great looking rifle! I agree it would probably be less expensive to build one. Most I have seen pics of so far would be heavy for my preference. That 45UL you built is more to my liking. Maybe one day.

I called Cooper in November. Spoke with one of the "technicians". Asked a million questions about how the rifle was built, breech design etc... Was ready to put in an order. When it came to thier accuracy guarantee I just couldn't do it. Don't quote me exactly, but I believe he said 2 1/2" guarantee at 100 yards. I told him my much less costly knight master hunter has (had) a better guarantee and when It didn't shoot, I sent it back to Gordy at knight and he made it right. Cooper said they feel confident it will shoot better with experienced shooters and a worked up load but if it didn't you are S.o.l. They will not accept it back nor will they do anything if it's shooting 2 1/2" groups.
I told they guy my 40 year old marlin 22 mag shoots 1 1/2 groups and it cost 100$ back then. For around $2000, I'd better get better service and a better guarantee then that.

I spend thousands on varmint and bench rifles. After load workup if it doesn't shoot- it goes back to the smith until it does shoot.

ShawnT said:
I don't remember anyone posting that Copper finally released their ML with a Synthetic stock, only that one was in the works. Guess it made it to the field. One is Posted on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/606789349

Then there is this one with one gorgeous stock! :shock:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/606763687
I remember the cooper discussion . They hired Toby as their shill back then ,maybe that's why they cost so much . I sure wouldn't buy one seeing as it's a standard industry 1:28 twist 50 cal . For less Money a person can go custom and get a more versatile twist .

They sure are nice looking rifles and look like they can shoot too. Did it list a range on those target cards from the factory? 25yds won't impress me much but if a 100, that's some nice shooting :yeah:

Hntndad said:
Cooper said they feel confident it will shoot better with experienced shooters and a worked up load but if it didn't you are S.o.l. They will not accept it back nor will they do anything if it's shooting 2 1/2" groups.

Well that's the wrong thing to say!! If that's all true I don't even need to research it anymore, I won't be owning one. Melvin at NULA completely stood behind his guns and that's what I look for in a custom gun.

Latest posts

Back