Core lokt recovered

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy of mine has killed more deer with cheap Core Lokt bullets in his 25-06 than i can begin to count. They usually dropped like someone smacked them in the head with a sledge hammer.
I wouldn't say one dollar per round is cheap! Certainly there are more expensive bullets out there, but I go for performance over cost everytime. If I do my part and put the core lokt in the chest cavity it's a dead animal!
I have used core lokt bullets in .243 cal./100 gr.and .250-3000 cal./100gr. They are a killer bullet! I do prefer .30-06 cal./165 gr.for pass through performance over the lighter ones though.

That's a lot of expansion. Sometimes a bullet will penetrate more at longer range due to minimal expansion.

A buddy of mine has killed more deer with cheap Core Lokt bullets in his 25-06 than i can begin to count. They usually dropped like someone smacked them in the head with a sledge hammer.
For more than a few years I used 150 grain Core Lokt bullets in my .30-30 for deer, and the 170 grain version for cow elk. (Depredation tags) I had other rifles and bullets available but they’re just very reliable.

IMG_3945.JPG This bullet stated out at 461gns now weights 447.9gns. Shot out of my Whitelighting with 70gns (vol) of T7. Deer (6 pointer) was maybe 10 yards away shot straight into chest and recovered bullet in hind leg.

Last edited:
For more than a few years I used 150 grain Core Lokt bullets in my .30-30 for deer, and the 170 grain version for cow elk. (Depredation tags) I had other rifles and bullets available but they’re just very reliable.
My self BK. In my 30 and 35's, Remington Core Lokts are my exclusive bullets. Never had a deer or a coyote walk more than 10 ft when shot placement was good. An excellent bullet for 30-30, 35 Rem, 30-06 and believe it or not also .357 Maximum. 180 grain 35 cal core lokt bullet and a TC Contender in 357 Maximum with super 14" barrel or a 35 Rem with 180 grain core lokt 14" barreled contender is a very lethal combo. Taken many deer with them.
DL

My self BK. In my 30 and 35's, Remington Core Lokts are my exclusive bullets. Never had a deer or a coyote walk more than 10 ft when shot placement was good. An excellent bullet for 30-30, 35 Rem, 30-06 and believe it or not also .357 Maximum. 180 grain 35 cal core lokt bullet and a TC Contender in 357 Maximum with super 14" barrel or a 35 Rem with 180 grain core lokt 14" barreled contender is a very lethal combo. Taken many deer with them.
DL
I had long wished for a .35 Remington. I think it would be a dandy woods rifle for elk. Especially a Remington pump. Maybe I’ll come across one yet. If the gun shows ever make a comeback...

Nice there BK. I have a Remington model 742 that belongs to my son, his from his deceased father in law, that he never uses. Its in 30-06 but i would love it in 35 Remington. Would make a great ass kicking woods gun or in 270 for a longer range gun.
DL

Last edited:
Nice there BK. I have a Remington model 742 that belongs to my son, his from his deceased father in law, that he never uses. Its in 30-06 but i would love it in 35 Remington. Would make a great ass kicking woods gun or in 270 for a longer range gun.
DL
That’s just a picture I grabbed off of gunbroker. I still don’t have one yet and I probably better grab one now, prices have gone nowhere but up... the gun in the picture is going over a thousand bucks right now.
I remember reading about guys using those in the big woods in the Northeast, hunting big whitetail deer and moose and thinking “boy those guys have great hunting right in their backyard!” :elmer:

I started shooting Barnes Bullets over 30 years ago.Never regretted it,pricey ....yes,but once I got yhe load for my 284 Mtn. Rifle I had built ,thats the load for all these years. Only two recovered.The perfect mushroom off a Muley Buck at 200 yds( Sako 308 150 gr).A quartering shot...in the ham,up thru the body,recovered in his brisket! The other with two peddles gone,a monster Roosevelt Cow Elk.A 70 yd shot in the brush,one opening. Well I shot A milisecond to soon as she went thru this small opening.It busted thru her shoulder ball joint and on into the other ball joint.She dropped right there. Still weighs 118 grains.all I ever use are the140 gr.,the gun was built for. Longest shot 340 yds,elk..total pass thru... and on every bear,deer,or elk. Price for a hunt...pretty cheap insurance. But I will say the Core-Loks are good also.

Attachments

• P1030559.JPG
    P1030559.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 7
Throughout the years the great designs and engineering of the older bullets have been copied/used or slightly modified to make a new better/faster/stronger bullet. It doesn't make the newer bullets better, only more expensive.

I have a pretty large collection of retired bullets. From 243 to 50 cal.

Attachments

• 20201223_172329.jpg
    20201223_172329.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 6
Back