couple more colors...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
....in the crappie crankbaits. Both of these colors were solid producers late last summer. An odd observation from then was that baits with a belly left near white got more hits and hook ups than baits with the side colors sprayed on the bellies as well. All of these have a mostly white belly strip.

pGBfAsJ.jpg

Nice, very nice! I could see a bigger sunfish/bluegill also taking a swipe at those, especially the orange ones.

Nice, very nice! I could see a bigger sunfish/bluegill also taking a swipe at those, especially the orange ones.

Sunfish do like these crankbaits. Brighter colors do better, but then sunfish always do go for the brighter colors. A similar pattern pink and an orange took quite a few large sunfish last summer/early fall. Pike liked them too and that's why I am painting these. lol

Sunfish do like these crankbaits. Brighter colors do better, but then sunfish always do go for the brighter colors. A similar pattern pink and an orange took quite a few large sunfish last summer/early fall. Pike liked them too and that's why I am painting these. lol
Nice work and observations mr tom . My dad , a charter captain , picked up a fabulous spoon 1 time up in Lake Nippigon , Ontario . It was chrome with a bass boat metal flake amber panel riveted on . It also had a 1/2" wide dull red stripe on it running at about a 60°angle lenghtwise across that glass . Man what a spoon !!!! Pike , walleye , musky , salmon ALL went NUTS for that tbing !!!! At 5 to 6" it was a good size spoon . I thought it looked like a wounded perch . No matter the water color it WORKED !!!
Figured id share this , might help you .
Also does just a bit of red by the bill of those baits help , on the belly ???
Once again , very nice work !!!!

Last edited:
I spray a small ornage throat patch on a few colors but I think its more for the fisherman than the fish. Nothing colorwise goes on the bills though.

I spray a small ornage throat patch on a few colors but I think its more for the fisherman than the fish. Nothing colorwise goes on the bills though.
Lake Erie walleye loved a small red patch belly side right behind where the bill attached ......
Just thought what was learned with 40yrs of charter service might help .(dad) and 20yr for me. Glad i dont do it anymore . PITA !!!!

Last edited:
They sure look good! I use to fish the Rivers on the Wa coast a LOT, Grew up doing it. A white Bellied Plug would almost always beat everything else out. One of my ALL time Favorites was a #30 Hotshot, “Mother of Pearl”

Crazy you mention Hot Shots, Lewis. I found a pair of pearl Hot Shots in the smallest size in a box of junk that was listed as "free" at a garage sale. There was stuff in the box I wanted so I took it and when sorting thru it I found the lures. They're the top two in this picture after getting a paint job and some new eyes, and new hooks. I keep them hung on a display board in the shop....Hot Shots and I are old company, much like you and Hot Shots.

8gwWdlb.jpg

Love it. We're finally brown here but snow forecast for tonight after all the rain ceases. I've been itching to hit the lake from shore but the water came way up....4 feet in fact. Now its slow to drop. I've been out raking the front yard between rain spells and finally got it finished but I did leave the flower beds for the one that likes them.

Back