Cow elk hunt in Idaho

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rio54

Reaction score
Looking for recommendation on muzzleloading bullet for cow elk hunt in Idaho it has to be all lead, I was thinking about trying the federal Bor lock 350 grain or what is a powerbelt impossibly Hornady great plains

I don't think the Federal Bor Lock would be legal, since the plastic stays with the bullet.

I don't think the Federal Bor Lock would be legal, since the plastic stays with the bullet.
I was going to remove the plastic tip I talked to Federal and the tests they've done without the plastic tip have been very good results

I was going to remove the plastic tip I talked to Federal and the tests they've done without the plastic tip have been very good results
Not trying to rain on your parade, but I think the plastic cup makes it not legal in Idaho. From the Idaho Fish and Game website: https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/weapons/muzzleloader
What's legal is, "A muzzle loading rifle or musket which...
4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter."

You can call, and ask them specifically about the bor lock. Let us know if I'm mistaken.
Interestingly, the lead powerbelt is legal, (pictured in the link) even though it has a plastic ring, but the plastic falls away at the shot. Not that I'm recommending it for elk.

I just found an all lead bullet that shoots great out of my TC Bone Collector. It's the TC Maxi Ball. 370 grains of good old fashion lead. I have not shot an animal with it yet but I have zero worries of how an all lead bullet will perform if I put it where it counts. Right now I'm shooting mine with 110 grains of 777 FFFG with very satisfactory groups.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I think the plastic cup makes it not legal in Idaho. From the Idaho Fish and Game website: https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/weapons/muzzleloader
4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter."

You can call, and ask them specifically about the bor lock. Let us know if I'm mistaken.
Interestingly, the lead powerbelt is legal, (pictured in the link) even though it has a plastic ring, but the plastic falls away at the shot. Not that I'm recommending it for elk.
According to the Idaho fish and game if you remove the plastic tip this bullet is legal it is not considered a sibo

Good to know, Rio. Let us know how it shoots.

A powerbelt style bullet would also be legal, they have plastic at the bottom and not the top but the lead is still within .010" of the bore diameter.
I use the Hornady Great Plains bullet, but I'm leery of how it would do if I accidently hit one in the shoulder with it.
Here is a link to some examples from the Idaho F&G website that is considered legal by them.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/weapons/muzzleloader

I've taken one of these Federal Bor lock bullets into the Idaho department of fish and game talk to the Head game warden in can East Idaho where I live, he looked at it and read the information by Federal ammunition and said if you remove the plastic tip this bullet will conform to the Idaho regulations

I've been shooting saboted, but I found that .45 caliber 400 gr. bullets of pure lead expand to over an inch diameter. That works pretty well for close shots, but on 200 yd. shots with 150 gr. 777, I wasn't getting an exit wound. I've also shot hardcast bullets. They kill more slowly, but at 70 yards with 115 gr. 777 it penetrated from front to back and killed the cow. IdahoLewis recommended a felt wad, and I've had good accuracy shooting sabotless with felt wads and 80 gr. of 777. I bought some Penn bullets with a bhn of 12, hoping they'll expand more than a hardcast (usually 20 bhn) but penetrate better than pure lead. I know lots of folks have good results with the Great Plains bullets, but I haven't tried them.​

I read the literature from the link that renegadehunter had in his reply. It states quite clearly the bullets have to be lead, no jacketed. I had a package or two of those Federal bor-loc bullets in 270 grain and shot some them at targets in front of a sand berm. When I dug a coupe of them out of the sand I could have sworn that they were jacketed. This would make them not legal. Maybe I am thinking of another bullet but I'm thinking not.

I read the literature from the link that renegadehunter had in his reply. It states quite clearly the bullets have to be lead, no jacketed. I had a package or two of those Federal bor-loc bullets in 270 grain and shot some them at targets in front of a sand berm. When I dug a coupe of them out of the sand I could have sworn that they were jacketed. This would make them not legal. Maybe I am thinking of another bullet but I'm thinking not.

Federal

Okay according to Federal ammunition this is not a Sabbath, I went into the Idaho department of fish and game show them the bullet and that the plastic tip can be removed very easily they read literature from federal ammunition without the plastic dip it meets the requirement of Idaho's muzzleloading law it is bore size and that's one of the main things Savage are not bore size

Tom if I sent ya those bullets the 270gr ones are copper jacketed, but the 350gr are not.

Here in Idaho we have to use pure lead bullets should have bore lock 350 grain without the tip on it we're allowed to use

Those are the ones, T. Accurate suckers and easy loading.

Those are the ones, T. Accurate suckers and easy loading.
I think I'm just going to go with powerbelt the 348 grain , I've been shooting the powerbelt 295 for many years for antelope hunting you got a pretty good accuracy out of them I fit antelope out to 80 yards

Why wouldn’t you just use a 460 grain Bullshop or NoExcuse? This seems like a simple answer being made complicated.

They are extremely effective, relatively inexpensive and what the GFP wants you to use. Am I missing something here?

Back