Cowboy cartridges?! Whaaa???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
So as I learn more I'm learning about black powder revolver pistols.

That led to aftermarket cylinders for those pistols that will accept something called a cowboy cartridge.

now I don't know about you but when I hear cowboy cartridge I think John Wayne movies.

On some of those movies where he used to pull the hammer down on every shot and I created a puff of smoke every time he pulled the trigger.

so I assume cowboy cartridges where's the next progression in to the modern firearms cartridge cowboy cartridge however uses black powder making it safe for a black powder pistol

My question is is there any manufacturer out there that already has a black powder revolver pistol that will take cowboy cartridges without having to buy an aftermarket cylinder.

The "cowboy" cartridges I've seen are very low powered for SASS type of shooting and should chamber and fire fine in a revolver made for that caliber but.....

I think what you're asking about is conversion cylinders to allow percussion revolvers to shoot metallic cartridges. They were a thing back in the day during the transition period and some of the SASS guys wanted to shoot their guns as a "transition" type of gun. The way this worked/s is a cylinder swap allows the revolver to be either percussion or centerfire depending on which cylinder is installed.

So I had to look up SASS shooting. I tell you this world never seems to amaze me and brings a smile to my face.

It makes me so happy that sass is a thing. I'm a sucker for history.

I did a little more research and I found some other gorgeous recreation pistols. So the cowboy cartridge it is filled with black powder right?

So I had to look up SASS shooting. I tell you this world never seems to amaze me and brings a smile to my face.

It makes me so happy that sass is a thing. I'm a sucker for history.

I did a little more research and I found some other gorgeous recreation pistols. So the cowboy cartridge it is filled with black powder right?
Filled with black powder? Depends on who's doing the loading. Some have subs instead. Nearly all cowboy ammo is in the "mouse fart" category as they like to shoot fast and up close so full power is detrimental to scores.

If you like competition with historic guns, check out our organization- North South Skirmish Association. We compete with Civil War era guns including artillery. Yup, we shoot cannons for score. I compete in rifled musket, smoothbore musket, carbine and I'm on a gun crew shooting a rifled howitzer.

Filled with black powder? Depends on who's doing the loading. Some have subs instead. Nearly all cowboy ammo is in the "mouse fart" category as they like to shoot fast and up close so full power is detrimental to scores.

If you like competition with historic guns, check out our organization- North South Skirmish Association. We compete with Civil War era guns including artillery. Yup, we shoot cannons for score. I compete in rifled musket, smoothbore musket, carbine and I'm on a gun crew shooting a rifled howitzer.

I just watched that video and it was amazing. I was truly touched that people care enough to come together to do this. I thought I was the only US history nut.

The period costumes, the events shown, it was amazing. I heard something about Michigan in there so I am going to have a look at their site.

One day maybe I can be a part of a cannon team or mortar operator. Truly a beautiful piece of history that should never be forgotten.

How do you group with a cannon? Now I know the answer. With a really big target!

The period costumes, the events shown, it was amazing. I heard something about Michigan in there so I am going to have a look at their site.

The unit I'm in is the Palmetto Sharpshooters. It was an adhoc unit in the War made up from bits and pieces of shot up units and as such, our uniform is distinguished by it's lack of uniformity. If you get with a Federal group, you'll pretty much wear the blue suit. But as the video says, this isn't reenacting, we shoot live rounds.

One day maybe I can be a part of a cannon team or mortar operator. Truly a beautiful piece of history that should never be forgotten.

How do you group with a cannon? Now I know the answer. With a really big target!

If you'd like to play with the artillery, there are units with different focus. There's almost always a unit looking for another crew member but you'll have to be an N-SSA member and be trained on the gun. Mortars are least expensive. Guns are another matter. Some are extremely accurate and shoot one big ragged group. Last match we shot in, we finished 4th out of 12 cannon and to be honest, it was a small cannon match. It was our best performance to date and hopefully not a fluke. We also practice recycling in artillery by retrieving the spent rounds from the backstop for recasting back into cannon ammo.

I have an1858 revolver with a cartridge cylinder that takes 45 colt. I shoot 6 gr of unique behind I believe a 240 gr bullet. Id have to look.

As for manufacturers of cowboy type guns- they're often made by the Big Italian BP guys, Uberti and Pedersoli. Uberti has a Schofield, break open revolver that has been calling my name for years. You can get rifles, too, like the Spencer (another personal favorite of mine) And on the plus side they often have options for the more period correct cartridges and more common modern cartridges.
Also worth mentioning the Henry has made in the USA reproductions of the original 1860 Henry rifle, which started the lever action boom and was used in the Civil War.It's a spendy rifle ( like most of the cowboy guns are) but I think it is supposed to be a fairly faithful reproduction of the original.
Cheers,
dgfd

Back