Coyote VS Mature Buck (Video)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
For those that might be Skeptical of a Coyote Killing a Mature Deer. Coyotes kill a LOT of Mature Deer! WAY More than some folks think!! My Dad pulled 9 Full Grown Deer Kills off the Ice last year that was Killed by Coyotes, and only Coyotes. We spooked a BIG Coyote off of a Full Grown Whitetail Doe stil steaming a few years back, from 1 Lone Coyote on a Frozen Lake, We could backtrack and see what had Happened in the New Fresh snow on the Ice, The Ole Doe was just Walking, and 1 Lone Coyote Track walking with her step for step, There was No struggle, it looked liked she had Simply layed down and Died. Coyotes will Run them til they Cannot go anymore.

Here is a Video of 2 Coyotes Killing a VERY Mature Whitetail Buck, They kill a TON of deer around here!!

[youtube]MocKEor1BM8[/youtube]

My grandson shot a doe with a bow and found it laying down but couldn’t get close for a second shot. She got up and trotted off as it got dark. They went back at dawn only to find her skeleton. Only thing left was her head. Andvto think that was done in about 10-12 hrs.

Until you see it, it’s hard to think that 1 single Coyote can kill a Mature deer, They ABSOLUTELY Can, and Do! Our winters are usually Harsh, with 3-4 feet of Snow here in town The Norm, With Lots more Snow up in the Hills 6-7 Feet is Very Common just a Short ways up out of Town on the Mountain Sides. I have Shed hunted in the Early Spring with lots of Snow stil in darker areas where Deer have wintered, They Have Trails Cut all over on a Hillside and not 1 Single track outside of these Trails (Snow is to deep) They have to Continually Walk these trails as it Snows in order to keep them packed down. Their Crap will be several inches Deep in these Trails, if we get a Weird weather spell of Thaw, Then Freeze Solid where it Creates a Solid Crust on top of the Snow, Coyotes can Run Across this like it’s Dry earth, But the Deer cannot, they fall through it, They are stuck in there Trails, Coyotes can Run these Trails like a Fine tuned Race Car on a Track! Depending on the Year, Winter kill can be Devastating in this Country. Think about these Poor Ole Breeding Bucks, They are usually Done with the Rutt by the First week of Dec, They are EXTREMELY Lean and Run Down from Rutting, And they have 4 Full months of Hard Winter smack in their Face, Lot of them Don’t make it through, Lot of BIG Dead Heads are found here in the Spring (Some in Idaho’s Greatest Whitetails Book, by Ryan Hatfield)

I am gonna do my Best this winter to help the Deer out a little bit, my Stainless 6.5 Creedmore for weather durability, and Fox Pro Game caller :yeah:

Lewis you are dead on! I did predator control for the federal govt and privately for over 40 years and these lone bucks dont stand a chance against even one or two coyotes when there is deep crusted snow. Usually in these tough winters the coyotes are grouped up and getting food is not difficult. Great Video. Thanks for sharing!

Back