Coyotes....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
There is an abundance of the critters where we hunt but seldom see them during hunting hours. Traveling to and from the hunting property we'll see the often. On Weds of last week, the middle of our first deer season I caught a coyote sneaking up on the remains of my buck's gut pile and figured as long as rain was starting and I was determined not to get real wet I took a poke at the mutt and hit it straight on facing me. The 250 grain XPB Barnes powered by 73 weighed grains of 209 smacked it square in the nose....exit is unknown as whatever remained behind the head turned to a mess of stink. Even the tail was gone. I didn't have the phone along that day and Thursday turned out to be a rain day or I'd have gotten a pic. When I hunted again on Friday the mess was pretty well gone, except for a mess of random entrail parts and gut content. Apparently crows like coyote as they were frequent visitors to the kill sight most of the day. I'm thinking now that this load isn't a good 25 yard dog load. Maybe 100 yards, just not 25.

Not exactly a fur-saver load (lol). You probably saved a few of next spring's fawns....way to go!!

There used to be a Federal agency called Animal Damage Control. They changed their name to something milktoast so the radicals wouldn't know what they do. I live in Albuquerque, and I know they don't do much here in town. I see coyotes in peoples yards. Last week, I was riding my bike along the irrigation ditch that parallels the Rio (not so) Grande and my dog was 300 yards behind me. I heard a couple of guys yelling and turned around. A coyote had been following my dog, and had just started to speed up when the guys scared it with their yelling. When my dog was young, she could have taken a coyote, but she's 12 now and I don't think it would have ended well.

In the early 70's I did a ton of fox hunting when fur prices were sky high. I used a Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester with a replacement barrel 220 Swift using solid boat-tail bullets that would print at 300 yards about a quarter size on a decent day. Loved to find a fox curled up sleeping along a drifted fence line. Cross hair on the eye and sleep was forever. Those solids just penciled thru with zero damage. Towards the end of the fox hey-day coyotes were starting to show up more and more. We watched one Sunday morning as a pair of yotes chased down a nice red and tore the poor thing to shreds, then just left it. I decided right then that a coyote, in any situation is just bad news....well, unless one wanders into a wolf pack then it's karma.

I don't hunt fox any more and I have long since given up trapping but if a yote comes into range and stops clear of brush, I pop the ****. There are just too many of them anymore. Just like wolves. I live in Rochester, Minnesota within sight of the Mayo Clinic and we have deer and coyotes all over the place, my back yard included with the deer. I did controlled fall bow deer hunting on a neighbor's slightly larger and remote home up the street and I shot more coyotes than I did deer. Where I hunt deer I have left the stand area with three gut piles on the ground in the evening only to return the next morning and found nothing left there. Coyotes. Really dislike the damn things.

Tho' I have no neighbors nor yard lights within sight, when coyotes start barking you'd swear there's one behind every tree. Can't provide a link, but last year there were a couple of stories about an outfit using coyote fur on high-end parkas, We also seldom see 'em but deer carcasses & gut piles sure don't last long. Nest-robbing and fawn-killing critters need thinning. Mange & other diseases will occur when they get too numerous. Turkeys also taking a hit from coyotes and raccoons. Too few 'coon hunters and trappers these days.

In the early 70's I did a ton of fox hunting when fur prices were sky high. I used a Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester with a replacement barrel 220 Swift using solid boat-tail bullets that would print at 300 yards about a quarter size on a decent day. Loved to find a fox curled up sleeping along a drifted fence line. Cross hair on the eye and sleep was forever. Those solids just penciled thru with zero damage. Towards the end of the fox hey-day coyotes were starting to show up more and more. We watched one Sunday morning as a pair of yotes chased down a nice red and tore the poor thing to shreds, then just left it. I decided right then that a coyote, in any situation is just bad news....well, unless one wanders into a wolf pack then it's karma.

I don't hunt fox any more and I have long since given up trapping but if a yote comes into range and stops clear of brush, I pop the ****. There are just too many of them anymore. Just like wolves. I live in Rochester, Minnesota within sight of the Mayo Clinic and we have deer and coyotes all over the place, my back yard included with the deer. I did controlled fall bow deer hunting on a neighbor's slightly larger and remote home up the street and I shot more coyotes than I did deer. Where I hunt deer I have left the stand area with three gut piles on the ground in the evening only to return the next morning and found nothing left there. Coyotes. Really dislike the damn things.
Growing up I had the run of western Colorado. I could ride a good horse all day and maybe cut a coyote track, if you saw one he was hauling ass cause everyone from the Basque shepherds to cowboys and campers shot coyotes every time they saw them. If you rode that same horse into the best buck pastures in late summer you'd see dozens of big bucks and many many 30” plus trophy deer. Nowadays you’ll see coyotes everywhere and big deer are just as scarce as yotes used to be. The green peace crowd would tell you that sheep and cattle grazing were responsible for the crash of deer and elk populations. I just remember a quarter of a million sheep calling our county home every summer and deer populations were twice what they are today.

The green peace crowd is just like all the other evil liberal/progressive crowds. They cause a terrific problem, blame it on others, and come up with a very expensive "solution" to said problem....most evident is what they have done to us in the last 11 months. We cannot blame just one old man, either. He has a multitude of handlers.

The green peace crowd is just like all the other evil liberal/progressive crowds. They cause a terrific problem, blame it on others, and come up with a very expensive "solution" to said problem....most evident is what they have done to us in the last 11 months. We cannot blame just one old man, either. He has a multitude of handlers.
Some people just cant leave politics out of a thread. Just cuz you dont like libs or biden doesnt mean we want to hear you whine about it. Take it to the political section on some other forum

"The green peace crowd is just like all the other evil liberal/progressive crowds. They cause a terrific problem, blame it on others, and come up with a very expensive "solution" to said problem....most evident is what they have done to us in the last 11 months. We cannot blame just one old man, either. He has a multitude of handlers."....Danno

Some people just cant leave politics out of a thread. Just cuz you dont like libs or biden doesnt mean we want to hear you whine about it. Take it to the political section on some other forum

Thank you michiganmuzzy!

Well hell Muzzy, don’t I feel like a jerk seeing as how I’m the one who brought it up. Apologies all around fellas!

Latest posts

Back