Coyotes....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here.
Nailed this one 2 years ago with a freshly converted Scout V2. DRT with a 200 SST.
20191213_120030.jpg

While deer hunting i shoot coyotes and hogs 100 percent of the time, don't care that the shot scares old mossy horns off.

Killed this large coyote last Saturday, first day of Oklahoma deer season. Was hunting with a .30-06 using my 150 grain barn burning hand loads. That's the exit wound.

This coyote was large enough to take down an adult deer. DSC02583.JPG

Did you guys see the study, I believe was conducted by the University of Maine?
Coyotes, being in the dog family, chase that which runs away. So does evolved running away from their helpless fawns, and fawns evolved to lay dead still. Does usually manage to outrun thieir pursuers.
Black bears, on the other hand, being a relative of the pig, have super sniffers on the front of their faces, and have learned to follow that smell trail back the way it came. They usually find a tasty, warm, tender protein nugget just waiting for them to bite into.
Food for thought.

Hogs have very good noses and they are capable of locating fawns. i've caught two large boars in the act of killing fawns.

There were relatively few deer in southwestern Oklahoma in the 1970s. In the mid 1970s a study on fawn mortality was accomplished on land west of the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Just over 75 percent of fawns were being killed by coyotes. A coyote trapping program began in coordination with Fort Sill. The deer population rebounded rather quickly. That coyote trapping program remains in effect.

Coyotes kill or mutilate calves as they are being birthed. It's not unusual to see grown cattle wIth mutilated or missing ears.

Couple times i've gone out with coyote hunters. Coyotes will not tolerate a canine in their area of operation, they will chase the animal. Bird hunters here sometimes lose their dogs to coyotes.

An acquaintance has a pair dogs trained to lure coyotes into rifle range.

Last edited:
Man! I'll stick to my swift for coyotes. As a trapper/caller I have to sew up the bullet holes to pass inspection and these look labor intensive. Trader

Do you use solids for bullets in that Swift? I did mine and it was great head medicine on fox.

My son had this Coyote come in on him opening day of rifle season in Middle Tennessee during the afternoon hunt. He just took pictures and let it walk. I wish he'd of shot it.image000003.jpgimage000002(1).jpg

My son had this Coyote come in on him opening day of rifle season in Middle Tennessee during the afternoon hunt. He just took pictures and let it walk. I wish he'd of shot it.View attachment 17791View attachment 17792
I had one come in some years ago. I was glassing a group of bucks across the canyon when Mr. Yote came trotting down a game trail 30 yards below me. He stopped sat down and did basically what I was doing. After a while he stood up, stretched and then circled a bit and laid down for a nap. I put the gun on him several times but didn’t pull the trigger. Not sure why exactly. The buck I was looking for wasn’t in this bunch so I left the coyote sleeping there and slipped away to look into another basin. Other than that one time, I drop them every chance I get.

Latest posts

Back