Crescent Butt Plates

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand how they're meant to be shot, I just don't like that hold. Besides, as soon as a big red stag jumps in front of me and I quickly shoulder the rifle, all thought of placing the rifle differently in my shoulder will be fly away, just like a chunk of my shoulder!
I did a lot of competition shotgun shooting when I was younger and because of that I naturally shoot across my body offhand. But kneeling and prone I'm pretty square on and as I hunt almost exclusively on foot those types of shots come up regularly.

I know some folks love them but my personal view is if they were that great modern firearms would still come with one.

Yea, i am not fond of Crescent Butt Plates, The “Traditional Cats“ can have them 😃 The TC Hawkens don’t bother me, and i shoot some STOUT Stuff. The Lyman Plains i had was SCARY Sharp, You could Skin a Deer with that thing, That was the 1st thing i took care of on that Rifle when it was Brand new out of the Box. You will need the Rifle Version one :lewis: I have worked with all 3 (Rifle, Shotgun, Carbine)

Yea, i am not fond of Crescent Butt Plates, The “Traditional Cats“ can have them 😃 The TC Hawkens don’t bother me, and i shoot some STOUT Stuff. The Lyman Plains i had was SCARY Sharp, You could Skin a Deer with that thing, That was the 1st thing i took care of on that Rifle when it was Brand new out of the Box. You will need the Rifle Version one :lewis: I have worked with all 3 (Rifle, Shotgun, Carbine)

Haha skin a deer with it, I like that one.

You will need the Rifle version :lewis:

Have you noticed any of the stock or brass discolouration I read about by having the pads on them? The guy in the shop yesterday reckons keeping one on will destroy the wood.

The CVA Mountain Rifle my FIL has is that way. I can't believe how sharp the bottom of it is. He gave it to me to iron out a few problems and work up a hunting load for it, I make sure to put it into a scabbard when I transport it just so it doesn't cut a hole in the seat of my pickup.
I guarantee I could open up a deer to gut it with that thing.

The CVA Mountain Rifle my FIL has is that way. I can't believe how sharp the bottom of it is. He gave it to me to iron out a few problems and work up a hunting load for it, I make sure to put it into a scabbard when I transport it just so it doesn't cut a hole in the seat of my pickup.
I guarantee I could open up a deer to gut it with that thing.

I truly meant that when i said it about my Old Lyman GP, I had to remove the Butt Plate, and use my Dremel with Sanding disc to Round the “KNIFE EDGE” Off the Top, It would EASILY have Cut right through my Leather Lace Up Pad. I don’t understand these outfits that do that? RIDICULOUS

I truly meant that when i said it about my Old Lyman GP, I had to remove the Butt Plate, and use my Dremel with Sanding disc to Round the “KNIFE EDGE” Off the Top, It would EASILY have Cut right through my Leather Lace Up Pad. I don’t understand these outfits that do that? RIDICULOUS
I don't get them being that sharp either. There's no way you could set it in the seat of your rig with the butt sitting against the seat, it would damage it in just a few miles on these gravel wash-boarded Idaho back roads.

Never could shoot a rifle with one, chest and upper arms too meaty,the only two rifles I ever ordered in BP where with shotgun butts, if I was still shooting them I would use the slip on gel pads used for long strings of Trap

Latest posts

Back