Crossbow deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That one should be fine dining. I took a 6 this fall with relaxed antler point restrictions allowing it. I saw more 6 points this last season than I have ever seen on the property I hunt.

Nice shot placement on a good meat deer. I took a young (1.5 yo) doe a week ago. Walking left to right at 35 yds.. Went in the back of the shoulder and into her spine. Knocked her over and she never got up.

Congratulations on the nice buck. I have taken some really big bucks but when it comes to putting some meat in the freezer I don't hesitate on smaller racks or even a nice doe for that matter.

I spent a lot of time in the woods with my brother in law who suffered terribly with arthritis so he used a crossbow for many years and probably took way more deer than I ever did with a firearm. He was about 24 years older than me and unfortunately passed away this year.

Thanks all, I wish I could shoot my muzzleloaders as well.
Not trying to brag but I think I can hit a dime with that Excalibur Matrix 330 out to about 40 yards.

I'm switching from a muzzleloader to a crossbow. I just bought the Excal Mag 340 and got the EXT crank too because of my crappy back.
Congrats on your buck.

I'm switching from a muzzleloader to a crossbow. I just bought the Excal Mag 340 and got the EXT crank too because of my crappy back.
Congrats on your buck.
What happened to the CVA you ordered?? Just a little advise, I have actually hunted an killed with my Excalibur crossbow, they are a sweet shooting an very accurate bow! I find them to be very cumbersome to carry in the deer woods. If you don't have far to walk, probably won't matter, but if you do an carry it all day...something to think about!

I agree. I've hunted with an Excal Grz2 and it was a pain. It turns out the Mag 340 which is very compact and light isn't legal in Colorado. The draw length is too short. Damn Colorado.

So that deal is squashed. Now I have to wait for a refund and decide what i'm going to buy. Anything bigger than what I bought will be too bulky to hunt like I do (still hunt). I was trying to get away from the recoil of a muzzleloader. It's back on my list now.

I agree. I've hunted with an Excal Grz2 and it was a pain. It turns out the Mag 340 which is very compact and light isn't legal in Colorado. The draw length is too short. Damn Colorado.

So that deal is squashed. Now I have to wait for a refund and decide what i'm going to buy. Anything bigger than what I bought will be too bulky to hunt like I do (still hunt). I was trying to get away from the recoil of a muzzleloader. It's back on my list now.

My Barnett crossbow kicks worse than any of my muzzle loaders. With a muzzle loader you can also adjust the charge to a lighter load to make it more tolerable. You don't want to try that with a crossbow.

One of the best things about muzzleloaders is that in a single cal and rifle you can control whether your load kicks like a mule or paws your shoulder like a kitten. A light load with a PRB or light conical/sabot should be fine. Recoil only sucks on the bench anyhow.

My Barnett crossbow kicks worse than any of my muzzle loaders. With a muzzle loader you can also adjust the charge to a lighter load to make it more tolerable. You don't want to try that with a crossbow.

I can't agree with that. I've owned quite a few xbows and none of them had what i'd even call a kick. Let alone more than a muzzleloader. Are you aware the average recoil for a muzzleloader shooting a hunting load is equal to a .300 mag?

Would a muzzleloader pistol be a possibility? I really like the optima V2 pistol, only thing is limited range and holding it still for a shot. Still hunting would be hard, but doable.

Not legal here. I asked when the Optima pistol first came out.

Colorado DOW are ignorant when it comes to muzzleloaders. They showed me that when they changed the PRB laws. They claim a .45 PRB is too small for deer and a .50 PRB is too small for elk. They also think an inline shooting BH 209 and modern copper bullets is a primitive season.

Of course a crossbow isn't legal in archery season and they don't have a reason why. Even though it is in the majority of states. Well, I found a way around that.

Crossbow in Archery Season Lifetime
Privilege #
Year
Valid From
04/01/2014
Valid To
12/31/2399
Status
Active

Plus, this.

Scope on Crossbow Lifetime
Privilege #