Cruciform Expanding Bullet - Lord Keane

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
I'm not sure the actual date this design was developed, but Lord Keane lived from 1781-1844. This Cruciform Expanding Bullet is located in WW Greener's book "The Gun and Its Development". Since I read it, probably 25 years ago, I always felt it's just another odd/unusual/ingenious example of what they tried/used in the 1800's.

In the last few years with these in-lines I've seen these Muzzleloading bullet posted - control fracturing - which keep me thinking of Lord Keane's design.
So, I've been intrigued if something similar today can represent something similar to what was created in the 1800's?

With all the rain this spring on the weekends, a few weekends to work in the shop - just casted these in both pure lead and WW.
Casting without being able to 'twist' the HP pin out of the mold is an experience!

I'm pretty sure the 3 large pedals will expand with the Pure lead, just curious if the large pedals (the size of Elk Teeth) will shear off with the WW.?
Ron will be getting a delivery next week.

Attachments

• CF bullet .JPG
    CF bullet .JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 346
  • Elk Teeth 420.jpg
    Elk Teeth 420.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 345
  • Elk Teeth top.jpg
    Elk Teeth top.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 344
I was hoping you would be sending some to Ron. :)

Man we sure are keeping Ron busy. :D

Rick that is one NEAT LOOKING BULLET!! You trying to put Lehigh out of business? LOL

It's all just fun and challenging..
I wanted to see how much weight the pedal would have. Thought I'd just push on a WW bullet into my lathe center, flat bar, then broke them off.

Attachments

• Elk teeth lathe.jpg
    Elk teeth lathe.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 297
  • Elk Teeth weight.jpg
    Elk Teeth weight.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 297
Test with 35grV BH209 by RonL (est. close to 1000fps)

Casted with Wheel Weights

Attachments

• CF 50 3.jpg
    CF 50 3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 199
  • CF 50 4.jpg
    CF 50 4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 199
  • CF 50 5.jpg
    CF 50 5.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 199
Casted and same test with pure lead.
Not like the 1830's illustration, my design isn't exact either - I have a larger HP. One tried to stay on..

Attachments

• CF 50 lead.jpg
    CF 50 lead.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 199
Back