Currently available 45 cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockky

Reaction score
I’ve been looking to add a fast twist 45 cal inline to the safe and don’t see many options. Does knight not make the bighorn, disc extreme, or wolverine in 45 cal?

What are the current options as far as inline 45 cal. ?

Mountaineer 45 1-20 or as a barrel kit if you already have an Extreme.
Ultra Lite 45 1-20...pricey but nice.
Knight 500 1-18....more target oriented than a hunting rifle and really expensive too.

CVA Accura LR 45....about $450 from CVA if they still have some at the close out pricing.

Cooper Arms...very expensive

Woodsman Arms Patriot....very light with a McGowen 45 1-24 barrel....Around $900

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to find something around $4-500 but that’s not looking good.
Hard to believe there is not more interest in the 45 cal. I may try to scrounge a barrel for my encore. I have a 50 cal barrel that David White did some work on that shoots great.

The Mountaineer 45 1-20 barrel kit is about $350 shipped but you will need a couple extra things to make it work with Extreme parts.

As far as i know the only fast twist plunger Knight was the MK85 45 1-24 and that one is rare. Sportmans had some Wolverines but those were 1-30s. Dont see them up for sale often but they were cheap.

Super DISCs come up for sale occasionally. There was one in the classifieds not to long ago but it will need a Extreme bolt and a Lehigh conversion if you want to shoot BH209.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to find something around $4-500 but that’s not looking good.
Hard to believe there is not more interest in the 45 cal. I may try to scrounge a barrel for my encore. I have a 50 cal barrel that David White did some work on that shoots great.
I just returned a .45 encore barrel to a seller on fleabay, because the bore had severe pitting in it. Looked good on the outside, and description said excellent, mirror like bore. Yeah, right. Buyer beware on used barrels from that site.
CVA still has the .45 Accura LR on sale as GM54-120 stated, and in stock, as far as I know. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

The only new one in your price range is the CVA Accura .45. Unless you can find an older Knight Original or Super DISC.
I love mine. So far it shoots everything well. Accurate and easy to clean. Great lifetime warranty too.

I love my encore after I had David White remove the QLA.
RHAH4Df.jpg

I shoot the accurate 51-450M in it.
Ttr10wP.jpg

100 yard group
DLzzCFx.jpg

Yep you are the one that recommended it. I’m searching for something to shoot those long heavy 45 bullets now

How’s the recoil shooting them out of the Encore. I like the way that bullet looks and shoots. Thinking my son may want to get that bullet but maybe around 300gr. To shoot out of his TC Endeavor?

To be honest that’s why I’m leaning towards a 45 cal.
Then encore is handy to hunt with but it kicks hard. It’s not so much the recoil as the muzzle rise. A scope gets dangerous.

Another option is buy a CVA Scout TD in .45-70 for as low as $325, and have a breech plug installed. That will get you a 1:20 twist 25" barrel with a brake (23-3/16" with brake removed), a stainless steel frame, excellent trigger, that handles recoil well, and you can even shoot them exotic powders out of it if you want.

Those Bergara barrels are one hole capable too. I own 2 Scout TD rifles.

Or, if you like blued, the new 2020 CVA Scout replaced their Hunter rifle. These in .45-70 have a full 25" barrel. You can usually get them for around $75 - $100 less. I've seen the Hunters go for as low as $225 and I bought a stainless steel Scout TD back in December on sale for $299.

Screenshot_20200106-204234~2.png
Screenshot_20200106-174909~2.png
Screenshot_20200106-174917~2.png

Last edited:
I've said on here but I'll repeat it again and most accurate factory rifle I have purchase in the last 10 years was a CVA Hunter with a 25 inch barrel in 45 -70 I sold it because I couldn't stand the recoil it would have made such a good converted muzzleloader,,Busta is right you would have a rifle that would thrive with blackhorn and also shoot light loads of smokeless,, light weight and easy to handle

Knight 500 1-18....more target oriented than a hunting rifle and really expensive too.

CVA Accura LR 45....about $450 from CVA if they still have some at the close out pricing.

Woodsman Arms Patriot....very light with a McGowen 45 1-24 barrel....Around $900

We have added 1-18 twist in our .45's as a standard. These are McGowen stainess nitrided barrels. Smokeless ready too.
They are not listed yet, but our new website coming next month will have them.

A guy on another board posted his ready to hunt weight....It was around 9.25lbs for a converted CVA Scout 45/70 with a NF SHV 3x10x42. Not a tiny scope but far from the heaviest.

We have added 1-18 twist in our .45's as a standard. These are McGowen stainess nitrided barrels. Smokeless ready too.
They are not listed yet, but our new website coming next month will have them.
I will be watching closely. I almost pulled the trigger (pun intended) a number of times. 1-18 twist smokeless with McGowen barrel right up my alley. Light weight to boot.

I’m also looking for a new fast twist 45 that’s BH209 capable. Don’t want a hammer to cock and I desire something as light as possible.
My Super 91 in 45 weighs 8 lbs 2 oz ready to hunt. Just more than I want to carry as I age out of this world. The New England hills seem higher every year.

So, the Cooper...7lbs or more and $2,275 or more. Heavier than I’d like and, yes, pricey.

The Woodman Arms Patriot intrigues me, 6 lbs and $899. I admire the effort made to bring a such an innovative design to market. It meets my requirements and the walnut stock version I find particularly attractive. I wonder about the complexity of the action and operating it in the woods. I’ve watched the videos but need to put hands on to be sold. I almost feel I should buy one just to support their hard work and financial risk.
Bravo!

That leaves the Ultra-lite...6 lbs and $1,015 at Midway with nitride and a green spider web stock. No mystery here except how they managed to make it so light. My Disc Elite 50 weighs a svelte 9 lbs ready to hunt! It never makes it further than the range.

I’m leaning toward the Ultra-lite, familiar handling, simple design and while it’s not cheap...it might be the last gun I buy.
Yeah, right! No, really!!!

I’m also looking for a new fast twist 45 that’s BH209 capable. Don’t want a hammer to cock and I desire something as light as possible.
My Super 91 in 45 weighs 8 lbs 2 oz ready to hunt. Just more than I want to carry as I age out of this world. The New England hills seem higher every year.

So, the Cooper...7lbs or more and $2,275 or more. Heavier than I’d like and, yes, pricey.

The Woodman Arms Patriot intrigues me, 6 lbs and $899. I admire the effort made to bring a such an innovative design to market. It meets my requirements and the walnut stock version I find particularly attractive. I wonder about the complexity of the action and operating it in the woods. I’ve watched the videos but need to put hands on to be sold. I almost feel I should buy one just to support their hard work and financial risk.
Bravo!

That leaves the Ultra-lite...6 lbs and $1,015 at Midway with nitride and a green spider web stock. No mystery here except how they managed to make it so light. My Disc Elite 50 weighs a svelte 9 lbs ready to hunt! It never makes it further than the range.

I’m leaning toward the Ultra-lite, familiar handling, simple design and while it’s not cheap...it might be the last gun I buy.
Yeah, right! No, really!!!
You won’t be disappointed in the knight ultra lite, sweet shooter and handles and carries nice, i just bought one this year in 45 and i love it

I had the .45 Mountaineer. Even with the Bestill plug I still had too many issues with a sticky bolt/primers and finally gave up. Thus ended my interest in Knights.

I have a .45 Brux from Luke at Arrowhead and can't recommend one of those enough.

I will also say that I've exchanged a few emails with Mr. Woodman about his Patriot rifle and I can't say enough how impressed I am with him. Quality dude and I believe he makes a quality rifle, enough so that I'm actually considering purchasing one to see what it's all about.

Latest posts

Back