Custom 50cal smokeless muzzleloader - Canada - "Accuracy Development Solutions" - Ken Thiessen

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could accomplish the same thing with just a soft lead bullet sizing to bore, at least it would give you an idea of the evenness of your bore,,, and fury bullets are worth the drive south to Michigan!!

I pulled the breech plug and pushed a dozen saboted bullets through the barrel.
There's very little difference in pressure across the entire length.
If there's any differences, it's wider in the middle (choked at both ends). This was barely perceptible, and might not be real.

And I hope you're right,, however if you have a long loose space in the middle and you have the added stress of the very fast twist, your sabots look very stressed to me. Also I would suggest some 350 to 400 grain bullets in that faster twist Northern precision has some. When I seated a 40 cal bullet in that barrel that I mentioned earlier that was so tight at the bottom ,as I was seating a bullet down towards the powder column could not really feel that nearly as much as when trying to seat a sized bullet which didn't work it was so bad . That is why when you size a bullet and push it through the bore or slug it with lead you will know. If I was having troubles that you are with a very fast twist 50 cal I wouldn't shoot anything but 350 to 400 grain bullets and I would back off my powder chargers just starting loads. I would find a way to get some fury 325 ,,,50 cal and I would get a bullet sizer,, I would invite one of them fine muzzleloading shooter Hunter guys from Michigan up to Canada to see me and take him hunting and tell him he had to bring me a sack full of those fury bullets with him,,, keep us informed I'm curious what your results will end up being you help me learn to!!!

As i mentioned, that twist will be rough on sabots and is 100% not needed for any bullet you can shoot in a sabot. I would swap that sucker out for a 1-24 in the blink of an eye.

I tried Magnum sub bases over the powder, below the sabot, not glued to the sabot.

250gr SST in H25045SRR with VV N110 38.0gr was 2319fps avg with 11fps ES without sub bases. 2228 fps avg and 16fps ES with sub bases. Group sizes were approximately the same (bad) at ~4 MOA.

250gr SST in H25045SRR with VV N110 42.0gr was 2443fps avg with 24fps ES without sub bases. 2347 fps avg and 33fps ES with sub bases. Group sizes were approximately the same (bad) at ~5-6 MOA.

EDIT: I've also started running a timer between shots so that I'm waiting no less than 10 minutes before loading.

20221002_174758.jpg
20221002_181734.jpg
20221002_185557.jpg

Last edited:
Surely there's some heavy 452 bullets somewhere in Canada,, 350 to 400 grain,, and drop your charges down,,sabots look awful to me.

Surely there's some heavy 452 bullets somewhere in Canada,, 350 to 400 grain,, and drop your charges down,,sabots look awful to me.
I was able to find some hornady Great Plains, full bore lead 385gr. Perhaps these will work on top of a sub base? Lead fouling might get a bit nasty, but the twist rate won't have a sabot to torment. Not sure what load data to use for these yet.

I've also got an order with prbullets for a variety of MMP sabots (classic short black, HPH-12, 44x50, 458x50).
As you said, I should be able to find some heavy bullets in 458.

I sent another email to Ken Thiessen, and he's sticking with recommending the classis short black with the 250gr SST and AA5744. I don't have any AA5744, but I'll try to acquire some.

I have some 350 and 400 grain bullets they're 452 they're not 458 but I really think they would work for you I don't mind sending you a handful of each I have two different 400 grain bullets that I really like I've been shooting in a one in 18 twist I think your twist would handle them in a sabot much better than what you're trying I wouldn't give up on the builders advice though why was it working for him and it's not for you ?I would be asking myself that and of course I know you've eliminated the scope being bad and any other issue I would be wanting answers from the builder.

Imr4759 too if you can find any discontinued and very old but if you can find some, and the heavy bullets you be able to start out real light and work your way up. A lot of that Old powder still in places in Old gun shops if you look around.

Light load:
250gr SST
H25045SRR (recovered sabots look the same as from higher charge loads)
VV N110 32.0 gr
AVG 1984 fps, ES 22
4MOA group size

knurled bullet:
250gr SST lightly knurled with bastard files
H25045SRR
VV N110 38.0 gr
AVG 2316.7 fps, ES 10
6MOA group size

1664846185492.png

Last edited:
Can anyone ship a jacketed bullet to you in the mail from America?
I'm not entirely sure. Some items are controlled across the border, and others are not. I'd have to double check the details.
On occasion I ship to a service in Michigan, drive across the border to pick up, and the drive back and declare the goods at the border.

I have some 350 and 400 grain bullets they're 452 they're not 458 but I really think they would work for you I don't mind sending you a handful of each I have two different 400 grain bullets that I really like I've been shooting in a one in 18 twist I think your twist would handle them in a sabot much better than what you're trying I wouldn't give up on the builders advice though why was it working for him and it's not for you ?I would be asking myself that and of course I know you've eliminated the scope being bad and any other issue I would be wanting answers from the builder.
That's a very kind offer. I think I should be able to find some heavier 458's locally and try them when the MMP sabots arrive.

Friend Quaid,
You CAN NOT cross the border with bullets nor ammunitions bought in the states. For ammo you can bring it back home only if you brought it in states from home. Be ready to prove it... (Do not know about bullets)
Take care.

Friend Quaid,
You CAN NOT cross the border with bullets nor ammunitions bought in the states. For ammo you can bring it back home only if you brought it in states from home. Be ready to prove it... (Do not know about bullets)
Take care.
Thank you. I knew this would be a tricky product category and wouldn't/won't attempt without being sure first. The last time I used the Michigan receiving services it was for a cooler chest from the feelfree kayak company. I've never attempted with firearms-related items.

Have you tried Elwood Epps in Ontario? They are my go to for stuff. If anyone has what you are looking for it would be them. I bought several boxes of Hornady XTP and SST for my Knight, Omega and Savage ML2 when no one else had stock. For some reason I seem to recall that you are in Southern Ontario. If so, Al Simmons in Hamilton is a good source too. 3 weeks ago I nearly bought a .54 MK85 and struggled to find bullets. I walked in there and they had 500 - 600 300gr Hornady .50 SST. I was even able to pick up .44 round ball for my Johnathon Browning Percussion ML.

Hope that helps you.

Have you tried Elwood Epps in Ontario? They are my go to for stuff. If anyone has what you are looking for it would be them. I bought several boxes of Hornady XTP and SST for my Knight, Omega and Savage ML2 when no one else had stock. For some reason I seem to recall that you are in Southern Ontario. If so, Al Simmons in Hamilton is a good source too. 3 weeks ago I nearly bought a .54 MK85 and struggled to find bullets. I walked in there and they had 500 - 600 300gr Hornady .50 SST. I was even able to pick up .44 round ball for my Johnathon Browning Percussion ML.

Hope that helps you.
I love Epps! That's where I ordered the full bore Great Plains 385gr bullets from.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of shopping at All Simmons in Hamilton. I'll have to check it out. Thank you for the recommendations.

I love Epps! That's where I ordered the full bore Great Plains 385gr bullets from.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of shopping at All Simmons in Hamilton. I'll have to check it out. Thank you for the recommendations.
Al Simmons is a small shop that's been around for years. They do firearms, ammunition and reloading gear and that's it. Not too much black powder stuff but I was able to get No11 caps when there were none to be had anywhere. 3 times in the past month they have had what I needed.

300gr SST in H25045SRR
54.0gr N120
3 shots
AVG 2079 fps
ES 110 fps
~2 MOA @ 100

an improvement, for sure

Back