Custom made breechplug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question.
Would a grade 8 bolt be safe to make a breechplug out of? The reason I ask is because I have access to a lathe and a cnc machine, along with people who have the knowledge to operate them.

When time is on my side, I plan on trying to make one for my NEF Huntsman since there is only one place that I know of to get an after market plug now. I did get one from Metrics Unlimited before they quit offering them, and I also got one from Cecil. Would like to get another but don't really want to pay $80 if I can make one.

Making a plug one needs from a grade 8 bolt is certainly doable. We made several Blackhorn plugs for pre 2010 Accura rifles. They worked good. We also decreased head space to eliminate blow by. Photo shows one that has been gathering dust for several years now.

G_0260.jpg

G_0258.jpg

G_0259.jpg

So yesterday I bought a 5/8 grade 8 bolt with 18 tpi which I am sure is the correct threads. But for whatever reason it only screws into the breech 1 full turn then gets tight. So now I will take the bolt and breechplug to work on Monday to double check the threads and maybe clean up the threads on the bolt if needed. Otherwise it's back to figuring out what threads I really need.

So yesterday I bought a 5/8 grade 8 bolt with 18 tpi which I am sure is the correct threads. But for whatever reason it only screws into the breech 1 full turn then gets tight. So now I will take the bolt and breechplug to work on Monday to double check the threads and maybe clean up the threads on the bolt if needed. Otherwise it's back to figuring out what threads I really need.
Have you used a thread gauge to measure the "TPI" on your Huntsman? Rossi and CVA mostly use 5/8-18 threads, and the Remington 700 ML uses 11/16-16(?)

Latest posts

Back