Custom rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willfish4fud

Reaction score
I hate long posts and am sorry for this one. But...I decided to try the custom gun route. Im a hunter and the guns I own are dedicated hunting rifles. I wanted something heirloom quality but fully functional. And most important accurate. I know what sidelocks are capable of and own several that drive tacks. No matter how pretty a gun is if it won’t shoot extremely accurate it’s a no go for me.
I researched and settled on John Bergmann as the builder. He’s known as one of the top Hawken builders there is. Super nice guy who has been building muzzleloaders for 50 years. I drove the 7 hrs to his house and spent the day discussing with him what I wanted.

After some time I received the first of four rifles from him, a dedicated elk rifle in .50 cal with a fast twist green Mt barrel and curly maple stock. I have a bunch of excellent pure lead 400 gr conicals poured by a good friend for this gun. Gonna be good elk medicine

A few days ago I received the second gun. I wanted a smaller framed lighter n quick handling deer rifle for the woods of Mississippi. It’s a .45 cal based on a Hawken squirrel rifle with a custom 7/8” Bob Hoyt barrel. It’s a gain twist barrel finishing at 1:30 and designed to shoot conicals in the 300 gr range. My eyes are still adjusting to the buckhorn n blade sights but it’s a shooter. And the gun is a work of art. Initially I was going to go all brown hardware. And John is too nice of a guy to give you an opinion unless you ask for his. I’m awful glad I went with his suggestion of a pewter nose cap and silver escutcheons.

He’s currently building 2 more guns for me (another elk rifle and a Hawken for roundballs) and im contemplating another. I’ve gone a little crazy I know but while I can still see to shoot, I’m gonna. ABEA69C6-407A-4FE7-BBF8-15D4169798B3.jpeg53150CE9-3CA0-4589-AAD9-9020A64E9CE7.jpegAE306557-286E-468D-9796-43F014694C9C.jpeg799359EA-E664-4B50-AA35-C86302189D3A.jpeg07C89C4C-8CF4-4E28-A027-DA777D28E15B.jpeg24691538-977A-400F-95CE-21BC88759FDB.jpeg

A thing of beauty is a joy to behold...
That Hawken squirrel rifle is my idea of the PERFECT east of the Mississippi river hunting rifle. Where o' where, did the flat butt plate come from? What does it weigh? What lock and triggers did you use with the Bobby Hoyt gain twist barrel?

I am so jealous!!!!@@ What a beautiful rifle.

The builder made the plate. Again I can’t say enough good about him as I described exactly what I wanted and he nailed it. He took a much larger plain plate and cut n reshaped it then checkered it so to be less slippery on the shoulder. It’s actually not as flat as it looks in pics but no issues with the crescent punching my shoulder
Not sure of the weight but it’s really light. Lock is L&R. Trigger is Davis if I’m remembering right. We discussed so many things it runs together. Thanks

Those beauties should provide many years of enjoyment. I have a custom 58 cal Early Va Long Rifle. My custom elk rifle. To damn pretty to carry in the mountains. I spent most of my time worrying about bumping and bruising it. Not to mention pretty darn heavy. My rifle carry arm is just slightly longer than the other after a week slogging up and down the mountains! :D

Latest posts

Back