Custom Smokeless 50 cal in Canada

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would this combo be better than a paramount pro?
I have purchased from Badger Ridge and I can vouch for their service. I only bought a breach plug wrench and a stack of sabots but the service was great.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you consider an old/used Remington 700 ML/MLS in 50, then modify it with our 209 kit, and Black Horn 209. You will get many of the advantages of a smokeless rig, and typically at much less $ spent. They have reputations as being low cost shooters, and with our kit, they are very reliable and will shoot any muzzle loader safe propellant... like BlackHorn if you can find it.
I can get my hands on a used Remington uml for 300$ I guess i should buy it ?

I would not use Cecil but the barrel he uses aint bad. Its a Green Mountain 50cal 1-26 twist IIRC. If you have the Savage/Stevens action you can buy the barrel blank from Cecil. Add the ASG plug and LRMP modules. Any smith can set head space on a Savage or Remage build in minutes. If you go Savage, make sure its a large shank and not a small shank.
Thanks for mentioning Cecil, yes he does 50 cals and like you said the ASG or Hankins plug is a much better idea, and yes technically any smith can thread the breach install and headspace, in my experience most decline to touch the project as soon as the words "smokeless muzzleloader" are mentioned.
For the OP I did order a plug from Hankins and may have to just order a nut barrel from him because I can't seem to find a smith to touch these things, not sure what I'll do yet. I have a tiny lathe but not big enough to do the work, nor am I skilled enough.
Hope you figure something out!

I can get my hands on a used Remington uml for 300$ I guess i should buy it ?

Get it. I believe Brownells is getting over $600 for SS Short Action Rem 700 Actions with triggers 😮! I recently got Remington 700 ADLs in .243 & .308 with the Crappy Scope Packages at Walmart for $378. Made the mistake of putting a decent scope on the .308 & now I don’t want to rebarrel it 🤔

Get it. I believe Brownells is getting over $600 for SS Short Action Rem 700 Actions with triggers 😮! I recently got Remington 700 ADLs in .243 & .308 with the Crappy Scope Packages at Walmart for $378. Made the mistake of putting a decent scope on the .308 & now I don’t want to rebarrel it 🤔
I ask the vendor for pictures of the barrel. Turns out it a 700 ml and not UML. Guess it's not that much of a good deal anymore

Attachments

• 2758512660.jpg
    2758512660.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 10
I"m in Ontario and I have a /used Remington 700 ML/MLS in 50, modified iwith 209 kit, great shooter
Its my backup, went with Encore with break action lot easier to remove used primer without having to wear my glasses/cheaters
They both love 209 blackhorn

There's an unfired 700 UML on Gunpost if you want to pay $1,600, a bunch of 700ml's scoped for $500 + and a couple of Savage 10 ML II's for $1,200- $1,500 Cad. If it was me I would wait for a deal. There's tons of muzzleloaders up for sale right now

I paid less than a $1000 for my MLII laminate scoped and I have seen both Savages and Remington 700 ml & UML go for a few hundred bucks. Always just before I see the ad !!

Changing the subject, somewhere in the thread I saw it mentioned that .45 wasn't allowed for game like moose in Canada. I've been looking and I don't see this anywhere. I don't hunt Moose so this isn't on my radar. As for as I know I can legally take dear with my disc .45 in Ontario. Can anybody speak to this ?

There's an unfired 700 UML on Gunpost if you want to pay $1,600, a bunch of 700ml's scoped for $500 + and a couple of Savage 10 ML II's for $1,200- $1,500 Cad. If it was me I would wait for a deal. There's tons of muzzleloaders up for sale right now

I paid less than a $1000 for my MLII laminate scoped and I have seen both Savages and Remington 700 ml & UML go for a few hundred bucks. Always just before I see the ad !!

Changing the subject, somewhere in the thread I saw it mentioned that .45 wasn't allowed for game like moose in Canada. I've been looking and I don't see this anywhere. I don't hunt Moose so this isn't on my radar. As for as I know I can legally take dear with my disc .45 in Ontario. Can anybody speak to this ?

Ontario regs states, muzzleloader yes for deer an moose, No Cal mentioned
In shotgun use nothing smaller 20 ga. for deer and moose

In Quebec, 50 cal is the rule.for moose. 45 is for deer

In Quebec, 50 cal is the rule.for moose. 45 is for deer
There you go, I've been educated. Thanks !!

BTW I assume that you are in Quebec. There often seems to be good deals coming out of Quebec & New Brunswick. My MLII came from there. It was pretty much mint & came with a mid range Bushnell mounted on it. The price was great and it was only a year ago.

Last edited:
There you go, I've been educated. Thanks !!

BTW I assume that you are in Quebec. There often seems to be good deals coming out of Quebec & New Brunswick. My MLII came from there. It was pretty much mint & came with a mid range Bushnell mounted on it. The price was great and it was only a year ago.
Right now can only find 700 ml and no ultimate. Also a mint savage 10 ml II. Wonder how is savage 10ml2 is compared to Paramount pro

Last edited:
I can't help you with the comparison. All I will say is that I own a few muzzleloaders and I like each one for different reasons. My guns range from a .45 Jonathan Browning shooting PRB through to my smokeless Savage. I own a Knight DISC Extreme in .45 that first got my interest going after I moved to Canada. I have a TC Renegade in .54 and an Omega in .50. I love the Omega, it fits like a glove and if I were sitting in the stand it would be my choice. It might not have the accuracy of a custom build smokeless or the range but I would just get closer and shoot within my limitations. I'm not the best shot!!

I wouldn't part with any one of my guns. I own them all for different reasons and all of them require work to make them work as your paramount will. Each one of them is an adventure in it's own right. Think before you spend tons of money on the most accurate, most powerful muzzle loader. There's a lot of great guns out there as folks here will attest to.

700 ML.jpg
Remington 700ml
$500.00 Canadian.
Posted: Feb 6, 2022
Address: Laval, QC,
50 cal. muzzle loader
Model 7ooml
Sight Bushnell 4×32

Primer 209

$500 +shipping, it's in Quebec and it gets you in the game. Scoped and already converted to 209. The owner probably has a bunch of accessories to throw in, maybe even powder if it's a local pick up. The scope might not be the best but the gun has been on Gunpost for a while so you might even get shipping thrown in.

the 700ml shoots a lighter load (max 150 grains of pyrodex, I think !!) and the UML shoots up to 200 grains of pyrodex. The UML also has a unique ignition system using primed cases and magnum rifle primers. Someone correct me if I am wrong. It was meant to be the ultimate BP rifle I guess. Check it out on google.

The 700ml is strictly a muzzleloader design. Its treated as other MLs and doesn't need registration.
The UML is based on an actual centerfire rifle action and could be turned back into a cf gun. It needs to be registered when purchased from a dealer.

The 700ml is strictly a muzzleloader design. Its treated as other MLs and doesn't need registration.
The UML is based on an actual centerfire rifle action and could be turned back into a cf gun. It needs to be registered when purchased from a dealer.
I'm in Quebec with stupid gun laws lol. Need to register any gun even my cva wolf

Back