Custom Smokeless 50 cal in Canada

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 700ml is strictly a muzzleloader design. Its treated as other MLs and doesn't need registration.
The UML is based on an actual centerfire rifle action and could be turned back into a cf gun. It needs to be registered when purchased from a dealer.
There you go, I didn’t know that. So it has lugs like the early savage.

In Ontatio muzzleloaders are in the non restricted class irrespective of the action.

you can’t hunt deer with a rifle in Southern Ontario. Only bow, crossbow, shotgun and muzzleloader.

I'm actually down to this décision. 700 uml with arrowhead breech plug or Paramount pro with arrowhead breech plug

I'm actually down to this décision. 700 uml with arrowhead breech plug or Paramount pro with arrowhead breech plug
For most, the 700 RUM with the Arrowhead ignition system will give them what they are capable of. The Paramount? Well at this time its likely the last rifle I'd consider buying, at least until their QC starts working again.
That RUM with the Arrowhead conversion and Fury bullets put the smack on anything.
Another consideration.......... The 700 action can be used for a complete custom rifle. The Paramount can't....... well it could but the "B" metric threads make it not worth attempting. One builder did and swears he'll NEVER DO ANOTHER. LOL

I guess I am a bit late to the party since you have already purchased something. I also live in Quebec and just built 2 smokeless muzzleloaders for my wife and I to hunt moose. I spec’d out the .50 cal barrels at KS Arms in Alberta. The barrels are a modified Sendero profile and I went with a 1 in 22 twist. I imported breech plugs and primer modules from the US.There were no issues importing them. I used a pair of Rem 700 rifles that I had, and in fact I have them set up as switch barrels rifles. I had Jason at Gunco install the breech plugs and set the headspace. I mistaken purchased the aluminum bronze primer modules instead of the brass modules, thinking I would get longer life out of them, but they are extremely hard, and creates a bit more resistance forcing them into the breech plug. The two SMLs shoot extremely well, and I am happy with what I have.

I shot my new acquisition 700 uml. 4 triple 7 pellets with Barnes spit fire t-ez 290 gr bullets. It what i had to try it. It's an amyzing gun! Shot pretty accurate, it was just a try out shot but i really like it
Awesome that youre shootin it well and really glad you were able to find those Barnes 290s! Cant find them anywhere around here

I found this gun in canada and i phone the shop. Real nice service but i just wanted to double check with some experts to see if this custom gun looks good to you guys ( the 1 :15 twist looks like to fast for some people)
I recently purchased this muzzleloader from BullseyeNorth, despite the advice against the twist rate found here. I contacted the builder and discussed the twist rate. He insisted that he tested the barrel with this twist rate on a variety of loads, including off-the-shelf 250gr saboted SST's, with great results.

I'll be testing those claims, and I'll certainly report back about my results.

If the twist rate turns out to be a problem, I'll rebarrel at 40 or 45 cal.

@tpiton did you make a purchase for yourself? Never mind that, I see you purchased a 700 UML. Very nice!

Again, i have to ask "why" he would even consider going with a twist that fast? It simply isnt needed and will put way more stress on the sabots. A 1-24 will shoot 400gr loads that roughly equal a 404 Jeffery. Thats a 400gr bullet at about 2200fps. Guys were doing that with a bone stock Savage MLII and slower powders such as 4198/H322/3031. So what exactly do you gain with a 1-15 twist in a 50cal ML.......nothing.

My NULA is a much slower 1-32 and it will stack 275gr Parkers at 2200-2400fps with ease.

Latest posts

Back