Custom White .410 Shoots, Scores!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a slow start to the season, I got up and checked the weather out the balcony door this morning. "How is it"? asked my wife.
"Deery" I replied. She snorted her response and rolled over in bed.

Walking in I saw a new scrape in the old roadbed. At 6:40 this 8 pt came to check the scrape from behind me. I gently sat my coffee cup down on my thermos. The deer had smelled where I had walked in and was very skittish. He would periodically look up at me in the stand. After 5 minutes, he moved forward, and his head was behind a white oak. I started to raise the rifle, evidently I made a sound, or he seen movement; he took off. I swung up the G-Series .410 and followed him as he moved quartering away. When he hit an opening at about 60 yds, I broke the trigger. Bang, flop. High shoulder shot didn't give me much info on the 336 grain cast slug as it completely penetrated, but he died instantly. Not the biggest 8 pt. I've ever taken, but very satisfying, a semi-tough shot with a newly built custom muzzleloader, shooting a bullet I designed.
The load was 60 grains T7, 3F, using a cast 336 grain pure lead conical cast by Ed Mehlig.

Last edited:
Great shooting skill! Great looking buck. I would have taken him in a heartbeat ! Of course you design of a great accurate shooting bullet probably help in a bang flop DRT performance. Grin

Great shooting skill! Great looking buck. I would have taken him in a heartbeat ! Of course you design of a great accurate shooting bullet probably help in a bang flop DRT performance. Grin

Now Ed, I didnt mean to imply he was still running when I took the shot. More like a trot! But he went down, that's all that mattered.

Great buck & great test of the awesome 410!!!

Greg

Latest posts

Back