cut and recrown barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought a carriage bolt was just a round head without a slot in it?Or am I thinking of a stove bolt?Tapered like yours but no slot.

I got the two bolts confused on the name. I actually thought mine didn't have the screw driver slot until I looked at it. I'm not sure if one is better than the other. All I know is the one I used worked for me.
The name didn't actually matter to me.

I bought these crown polishers a few years ago to clean up a ML crown. Theyre brass and worked pretty well when i smeared a little 320 grit Wheeler lapping compound on the point. I like them because theyre the same angle as the crown, 45*. Dont push on them hard or the crown cuts into whatever you use and rounds it more than polish. I think i found them on ebay?
C9C2BB4F-D6CC-4C37-9403-DE045A5742B6.jpeg615498F2-F65E-4C77-AF80-8062AD0C3A80.jpeg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1228832919...Wn-MYM3QNK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I put the brass bolt in a drill to power it. The valve grinding compound was applied to the round head. The brass bolt is soft so it can wear while grinding and the compound will take off steel to give a beveled crown.
I know it's backwoods but it works good.
Simple doesn't mean bad or second rate. This reminds me of my first day in a machine shop class. The instructor held up a file and asked, "What's this?"

Everyone replied, "A file".

The instructor said "NO, this is a lathe, milling machine, planer, scraper and about every other machine tool you can think of. With good files and enough time, a man can make almost anything."

I don't think it's coincidental that many of the greatest gun designers and builders in the last 200 years started their careers as "a filer".

Back