cut and recrown barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My brother has a 308 rifle barrel that is 26'' long.He would like to have it cut and recrowned to 24''.Are there any machinists/gunsmiths that do this kind of work?Please pm me with cost and time turn around.Thank you

Have them do an 11 degree crown for optimum accuracy
Nit Wit

Should be easy for a ‘reputable’ barrel shop or full service gunsmith, Google some up, then call.

For the 308 I’d drop down to 22”, though preferences & planned use factor in.

About any machine shop could do that job,m or anyone with a feed through lath chuck. Take more time to get the barrel dead centered than it would to crown it.

My brother has a 308 rifle barrel that is 26'' long.He would like to have it cut and recrowned to 24''.Are there any machinists/gunsmiths that do this kind of work?Please pm me with cost and time turn around.Thank you

Who manufactured the rifle, and what model is it?

Or is it just the barrel?

I do barrel work. See the link below.

Lathe Steady-Rest for Gunsmiths - YouTube

My question is, Why? Cut 2 inches off, lose ~100 fps velocity.
I have purposely had a barrel shortened on a 7 Mag that I used as my saddlegun.

My brother has a torn rotator cup in his left shoulder and it is hard for him to raise the gun to shoot.He mainly hunts from a tree stand where his shots are 50yds or under and he will be able to handle the gun easier.

Cutting and crowning a barrel is not that hard to do if you're even a bit handy with hand tools. All you need is a pipe cutter (for a scribe line), a hacksaw, file, wooden dowels, emery cloth, oil, a capnut and bolt and patience and you can do a professional job.

Some would say what i did to this rifle was a poor decision. This rifle is a winchester pre 64 264 win mag. It's the Riflemans rifle.
The crown was in poor shape. I was getting 2 to 3 inch 100 yard groups. I had to do something.
I used valve grinding compound and a brass carriage bolt. I ground the crown and now it shoots .3 to .4 in groups.

Attachments

• 20190703_113841.jpg
    20190703_113841.jpg
    661 KB · Views: 1
what was the purpose of the brass carriage bolt?Crown looks great.

I put the brass bolt in a drill to power it. The valve grinding compound was applied to the round head. The brass bolt is soft so it can wear while grinding and the compound will take off steel to give a beveled crown.
I know it's backwoods but it works good.

Beautiful crowning job. i recrowned the muzzle of a Remington 700 barrel in .30-06 that came from the factory with a bad crown using the same technique.

When I did this crown job I couldn't find a gun Smith that would do it because it is a very collectable rifle or they were too far behind to get to it.
I'm glad I did it. It shoots great.

Will that also remove cut marks around the barrel crown?I might give that a try.What size diameter carriage bolt could I use ?

You should size it going off how much of the end you want to cut. I didn't put a polish on the crown but it would be easy to do. Mine measures .380 after using it. You can see how the grinding action made it more tapered.

Attachments

• 20221225_100039.jpg
    20221225_100039.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221225_100009.jpg
    20221225_100009.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 0
done many a Marlin lever guns like this. amazing how much better they shoot.

Latest posts

Back